• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Windscreen seal - how to install?

Andrew

SAOCA Web/Graphics Service
Donation Time
I am about to tackle installing a new windscreen seal. The car to windscreen seal is in very good shape but I must install the seal that travels around the circumference of the glass. What kind of a job is this and are there any tricks to the installation. I would hate to damage the seal or the windscreen. I remember an old posting about using a light rope to install the seal? Any help would be appreciated.
Regards,
Andrew

mikephillips

Donation Time
I find it's works better with the frame off the car, you get a bit more flex in it and can move it around as needed. Put the seal on the glass, lay the glass in the frame. The bottom and side will go on the flange easily. Around the top you'll want a piece of wax cord in the groove or a thin blade screwdriver to pop the seal around the flange. Patience is a key as well. If you want more details of what I do, let me know.

howard

Donation Time
It was worth the cost, in my opinion, to have a pro do that job. Just took the assembly to the glass shop... then installed the new glass/rubber onto the car myself. Guess I'm too chicken to do it myself. I'd rather save the time on this project and apply it towards something I feel like I CAN do.

ozzie alpine

Bronze Level Sponsor
Hi Andrew,
I recently did this job myself on my SII, with the frame removed and on the dining table.
Its quite difficult, but I managed, with help from a friend to hold things from time to time.
I initially made the mistake of applying silicon sealant under the rubber before fitting to the frame. It got everywhere and was slippery. had to remove it all and start again. I'll seal it once the rubber has relaxed into its final resting position after a few weeks.
Its surprising how much force I needed to push the frame back together over the new rubber. I ended up using a ratchet-strap to pull the frame together. Scary, but it worked. The screen (toughened) must be very strong.
I had to cut notches out of the new seal in order to clear the internal brackets that hold the 4 parts of the frame together.
Overall, acheivable, but not a fun job, and it may be worth seeing if you can get a pro to do it.
cheers
Dave

tfctpa

Donation Time
I remember an old posting about using a light rope to install the seal?

Andrew,
Remembering windshield replacement on Studebaker, I would recommend using clothesline rope. This comes with a plastic coating that does not catch on the seal while being pulled. I of course did this on the car, (not a choice), but having it mounted gave me the advantage of using my feet on the frame for leverage. I also used a small amount of dish soap to lubricate the rope to assist.

Bill Blue

Platinum Level Sponsor
I've never done the Alpine windscreen, but its coming up fast. Several years ago I had to install a rear window in a kit car. The guys I bought the rubber from recommended gooping the rubber up real good and it would help things slide together. I asked what they gooped it up with and they answered "Goop".

Anyway, has anyone tried it? It sure worked good on that job.

Bill

Andrew

Donation Time
Windscreen

Well, the only Goop that I know of is shoe or automotive "Goop"; rubber type glue. Was this Goop used as lubrication or a sealant?
Yes, my car is a SIII and the only information I could find is for the windscreen for a SI & SII. My manuals show 6 bolts that hold the windscreen to the body, two at each end of the frame and two in the space evenly from each end. I can only assume that this frame sits down onto a seal the fits between the body and the windscreen frame. The seal that I need to replace is the one that is around the glass. I assume that it locks (? Glue needed) the glass into the windscreen frame and that it also holds the windscreen trim between the body seal and this new seal. If I tackle this I will take a number of photos and share it with others, who know it may help some of you but better yet it may be entertaining for everyone to see the expression of excitement:D change to anger and frustration :mad: that is until the job is finished!:)
Regards,
Andrew

mikephillips

Donation Time
You should have seven studs from the windshield frame through the body. The tough ones are the 2 behind the heater vents and the one in the center, mostly because of the dash and wiring being in the way. I'd suggest you also buy the frame to body seal and at a hardware place get about 6 feet of that rope like caulk for when you replace the frame to the body, if you remove it. You'll need to remove all the stainless trim from the frame, the top and bottom should just pop off. The sides however are pop riveted to the frame where the door quarter window meets it, drill them out and set them aside with some 1/8 rivets to reassemble.

burgy711

Donation Time
I did this on my series III a couple of year ago and though it isn't easy it is a job that can be done with patience, a good small tough rope and effort. I had the entire frame off the car as I was told that is the easiest way to get the angles you'll need as you wrestle it back into the frame. I don't remember exactly but I think I went frame to rubber then rope and window so I was putting the glass into the rubber seal that was in the frame.

mikephillips

Donation Time
I personally have found it to be easier to put the seal on the glass and then into the frame. It's harder to knock the seal off the glass when installing than it is to knock it off the frame, particularly when working it alone.

Andrew

Donation Time
Windscreen Seal

Thank you for the information guys!
Now how are you using this rope, are you pulling it between the seal and the glass to help fit the seal? I am sure there are a few little tricks in all of this.
I guess I should just give it a go. I see a tool in one of my books that can be made to help the install. In a past post a screw driver was said to help and I assume it would be used in the same way.
Thanks again for all of your help, I plan to do the install this weekend.
Regards,
Andrew

mikephillips

Donation Time
Normally with a rope what people do is wrap it around the rubber in the groove, then place the glass and rubber in the frame. While pushing the glass against the fram the rope is pulled through from the inside causing the rubber to pop over the flange. When I do it I take the frame off the car and place the rubber on the glass. Then when you set the glass in the fram the bottom and sides pretty much go on by themself and then I work a think screwdriver along the top of the rubber in the groove to pop it around the flange.

burgy711

Donation Time
I do remember the use of a good thin screwdriver with my install as well and as I recall this is why I put the rubber into the frame so the screwdriver and rope pulling wouldn't damage the new paint on the frame. Either way I'm sure will work and I would bet after about an hour or so and with several attempts you'll have the glass in place. Besides, there is a lot of chrome that will hide scratches on the one side.

Bill Blue

Platinum Level Sponsor
I just discovered a very handy tool for installing the windshield. The bottle opener end of the old "church key" can opener. The little bends on it give the exact angle to insert it under the rubber and work the rubber up over the frame.

I Gooped the rubber channel inside and out, placed the windshield in place with the frame standing up. Inserted the opener in the bottom corner, did one side and bottom, moved to the other side, did the side and bottom. Laid the windshield flat and did the top. After I started with the bottle opener, the job took about 15 minutes. Turned out to be a very easy job. That's after a couple of hours of false starts and figuring out how the job had to be done.

Bill

ddonatimfs

Donation Time
windscreen replacement

I find it's works better with the frame off the car, you get a bit more flex in it and can move it around as needed. Put the seal on the glass, lay the glass in the frame. The bottom and side will go on the flange easily. Around the top you'll want a piece of wax cord in the groove or a thin blade screwdriver to pop the seal around the flange. Patience is a key as well. If you want more details of what I do, let me know.

I am in the process replaing the windscreen on a series II. Like others on the forum I cannot get the frame back around the rubber, after the rubber is on the glass. Can you describe more about what you describe as placing the rubber in the frame, then setting the glass?? Thanks, Damian

mikephillips

Donation Time
Damian, I have to say I haven't done the early windshields, in the later ones in the 1 piece steel frame. So lacking one to experiment on I'm not really the one to discuss the early frames and glass install.

socorob

Donation Time
I did it on my s2 recently. I used a lot of soap. I think in the end I put it on the glass first. I had the seal from macgregor. You have to cut it to where you have it stretched as tight as possible around the glass or you can't get it in the frame. If it's loose at all I couldn't get the frame all the way together. I was using a rubber mallet, block of wood and a ratchet strap. It was quite a chore, took me all night. A helper makes a big difference too. It's not an easy task, at least on my car it wasn't. I've done a couple windshields in other old cars and this was by far the toughest. Make sure it's centered perfectly when you put the top and bottom on.

AlpineII

Donation Time
I just did my Series 3 windshield this past weekend and had done my Series II abotu 4 years ago. The Series 3 only took about 15 minutes but the Series II was way more diffiicult and I agree with Rob, you have to get the seal tight on the glass. On the Series II, I had the seal on the glass first and then put the frame together around it. Making sure the seal had no slack allowed the frame to bolt back together but man, what a job!!!