• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Wilwood front discs

Series6

Past President
Gold Level Sponsor
I left several messages. At least twice with a live person who promised a return call. Since they were recommend so highly here I gave them first shot. When I got nowhere I dropped it until the subject came up when I was talking to Wilwood. I'm sure Dale's will survive without my little business..:D If they are anything like Adams Custom Engines in Sparks or any really good restoration business or supplier of components, they have plenty to keep them busy. Like I said, no harm, no foul. I ended up with what I wanted and as a bonus, I have a guy who will make up the rear axle like I wanted..

Rodewaryer

Donation Time
Nick, I don't think anyone thinks you're being evasive, you've been more than informative especially given the circumstances. Great posts and good info. I'm with others here that would love to do this upgrade. Now we know that it's doable. Sweet!

Any further info would be helpful and I know I'm going back through this thread again and copying down everything I can.

slippery_biscuit

Donation Time
Ditto that! Nice to find out about this and I'm sure the rest of the data will make itself known sooner or later.

Quick little side question, maybe... at some point I'll switch over to the 8" rear end, and I can't remember if that will come with disc brakes or is that a conversion? This Wilwood topic brought that to mind....

Bill Blue

Platinum Level Sponsor
Ditto that! Nice to find out about this and I'm sure the rest of the data will make itself known sooner or later.

Quick little side question, maybe... at some point I'll switch over to the 8" rear end, and I can't remember if that will come with disc brakes or is that a conversion? This Wilwood topic brought that to mind....

Conversion. I used early Saturn calipers and disc's. Requires fabrication, but allows use of the Alpine handbrake and gives parking brake on both wheels.

Bill

Series6

Past President
Gold Level Sponsor
Any further info would be helpful and I know I'm going back through this thread again and copying down everything I can.

or, if you plan to be in the West Valley, pm me and then come by and look it over yourself. I'm in Estrella Mountain Ranch in Goodyear. I think you're in North Phoenix by I17/101 right?.

I must have bozo'd something as I'm getting some contact sounds as the rotor turns. I'll pull it down this weekend and correct. :eek:

(Sounds like a Sunbeam inspired Soap Opera..... "Be with us next time when our hero trys to figure out where all the extra parts on the work bench go to after the engine rebuild....on, AS THE ROTOR TURNS...")

Rodewaryer

Donation Time
As the Rotor turns, I like it.

I'd love to have a look at it. I'll PM you since I don't work for the next 9-10 days......

Rodewaryer

Donation Time
Ah hell Nick, sorry about getting all distracted and not hooking up with ya. Too many things to go into here, the main excuse being a long awaited car purchase and figuring out how to do an out of state deal. Sunbeam will keep. I'll be around and I know where to find you.

Not trying to jack the thread, but the previous question does peak ones curiosity.

BLISTIC

Donation Time
I spoke with Dale today.
A couple of things. The brake kit will bolt up to the stock spindle. Which is like any brake kit.
Bolt pattern is what ever you want.
He also has a 3 link rear end set up. AWA as a front end kit that is being built.
All of this to at reasonable price.

Series6

Past President
Gold Level Sponsor
Reply to 3

SOCOROB-No. Same width. I can forward pictures if you'd like. PM me with your e-mail address.

Rodewaryer-My feelings are hurt that you didn't get right back to me. (Boo-Hoo...:(sniff) OK I'm over it. E-mail me anytime. Actually, I've been trying to get over to a Saturday night cruise at 83rd and Lake Pleasant. I think that's up your direction, right? May try again this or next week.

BLISTIC-I'm using a 4 link w/panhard rod and QA1 coil overs on mine. Might be nice to post a picture of a 3 link.

My Ford 8.8 with discs and LSD should be arriving this weekend. Hope to get it in by end of May. Already have the coil overs.

I have the front QA1 shocks and am waiting for a friend to send me 2 of the lower shock mounts so I can get them installed. I need to have an aluminum bar machined to go thru the lower shock eye...

Geez...I actually sound like I know what I'm doin'.... :eek:

BLISTIC

Donation Time
BLISTIC-I'm using a 4 link w/panhard rod and QA1 coil overs on mine. Might be nice to post a picture of a 3 link.

Will post when the set up begins. Right now it is pure talk and speculation.
I did all this on my 65 mustang. Which turned out to be very good on the track. (drag and Road course)

What size coil overs did you use? Are you making a cradle for the rear? Check out this design...
5801-M10_5812-M10_rear_AT.jpg

Front shot better visual
5800-M10_AT.jpg

Wheel hop on my 65 was so bad i was pushing the pumkin up into the tunnel:eek:
this kit allowed wheels up launch at the drags and some really nice road course driving.

BLISTIC

Donation Time
Wow!

How much does a rear like that run and where do you get one?

Thanks

Eric

'62 SerII

That set up is for a Mustang. it si built by TCP or Chris Alston chassis works.
I have emailed him inquiring about setting it up for the Alpine/Tiger's.
The install was cake. I had to weld the upper tabs on the diff but now they have a bolt on upper arm fixture. So no welding.
They need to shrink the carriage down a bit for the track of the Alpine or lose the carriage and create a three link set up.
The cost was $1599 (2years ago)
The first time i dumped the clutch was wicked. No spring wrap or wheel hop. It handled like it was on rails.

Series6

Past President
Gold Level Sponsor
I can hear the gnashing of teeth from the Purists now...

http://community.webshots.com/album/570295685sHljpN

I don't know how to insert pictures into the body of the posting like you did. Best I can offer for now is this. Note...The installed axle is in another car. My axle is on the wood frame ready to ship. More pix to be added when the axle arrives this weekend and I'll shoot the installation. I have to have the Mod Tiger Engineering reinforcement done as well as the two locatiors for the upper links and a locator for the Panhard rod. The welder is also going to cut the holes in the cruciform and install a cruciform tunnel for me so I don't loose frame strength. He and the axle/suspension fabricator worked together a few years back so they speak the same language. I'm just going to keep handing him Ice Water and staying out of his way.

Starting to get hot here so I may move the whole operation into the air conditioned garage...:D

BLISTIC

Donation Time
Nick take the pics and put them in your my documents on your computer.
Then select the paper clip in the panel. Then select the pic when it says browse. Then upload the pic to the forum.

Purists. I think we have been way off the mark for sometime...isn't this the Modified forum?:rolleyes: i want to have fun with this car..*nudge* I mean my wife wants to have fun with this car.