• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Wilwood front discs

Series6

Past President
Gold Level Sponsor
So easy to install I could do it. I got these from a Wilwood distributor in Indiana who apparently will be at Suni.

Series6

Past President
Gold Level Sponsor
What rotor are the Wilwood's sitting on? Would they fit onto the Alpine 4-bolt?

They bolted right up to the stock hub. Apparently a patern Wilwood has in the catalog. I sent my hubs to Joel and he sent me back 5 lug. No changes on the back side. I can post an unmounted disc or email you a picture if you'd like.

alpine_64

Donation Time
Dale A of Dales restorations was probably the one that got them to do ones for the sunbeam pattern.

He offers a 10.5 and 12" vented kit with 4 piston calipers.

Rodewaryer

Donation Time
I didn't fully get the last couple conversations. The wilwoods are only in 5 bolt or you needed 5 bolt and those are also available?

Any info on the necessary wheel size for each of those rotors?

64beam

Donation Time
Hi Nick,

Do you have a part number for the discs? If they are a bolt on option, that is great. What was required for the caliper installation?

Thanks, Robin.

Bill Blue

Platinum Level Sponsor
Joel makes kits to adapt Wilwood parts to Alpines/Tigers. I doubt Wilwood carries a rotor to fit the Alpine as it appears Nick's car is wearing an adaptor.

Bill

Series6

Past President
Gold Level Sponsor
I wish I could be more help on the details. I called Wilwood on another issue a few months ago and asked the guy about a kit for Alpine/Tiger. He mentioned Joel Giffin and I called him. I told him what I was doing and he made this kit for me. Like I said, it was a clean install.

I thought all he made was the adaptprs to mount the caliper in place of the Sunbeam caliper then assembled the rest of what was needed.

He's also building me a Ford 8.8 with LSD, discs and coil overs, from a Navigator.

gordonra

Donation Time
I got to visit Willwood in Camarillo yesterday. We are going to be quoting them some machines to process rotors. I'd love to get some part numbers for these bolt on parts. Might be able to pick up some pieces at a bargain price if we get the job.

Interesting place..... Got the nickel tour by one of the top engineers, and a brief lesson in disc rotors, drilling, grooves, and pads.

During the I was shown that they were cranking out front spindles for Mustang II/Pintos.... said it was the most popular spindle.

serIIalpine

Donation Time
OK so I'll be rthe jerk.

Why is it when someone puts together something like a really cool aftermarket, bolt on, vented disk brake set-up, with pictures no less, they NEVER take the time to post the part #s or the vendor info???

Is it only me or is this the type of thing that would speed along the process for a lot of us?

Thanks

Eric

'62 SerII

sunbby

Past SAOCA President
Donation Time
I didn't fully get the last couple conversations. The wilwoods are only in 5 bolt or you needed 5 bolt and those are also available?

Any info on the necessary wheel size for each of those rotors?

The Alpine rotors bolt on to the back of the hub with four bolts, there is no correlation to the number of wheel lugs.

I assume Nick had him convert his hubs to 5 lugs at the same time so he could use 5 lug wheels on the front to match the 8.8 rear 5 lugs. But I don't think that really had anything to do with the brakes other than it was done at the same time.

The Wilwood rotors don't actually mount like regular oem stuff, they always have some type of rotor hat. I assume Joel just made the appropriate rotor hat/adapter for a stock Wilwood rotor to the Alpine brake rotor mountings.

Is this the same guy as the Joel Griffin with the tricked out yellow Alger at last year's Invasion?

Todd

Bill Blue

Platinum Level Sponsor
The Alpine rotors bolt on to the back of the hub with four bolts, there is no correlation to the number of wheel lugs.

I assume Nick had him convert his hubs to 5 lugs at the same time so he could use 5 lug wheels on the front to match the 8.8 rear 5 lugs. But I don't think that really had anything to do with the brakes other than it was done at the same time.

The Wilwood rotors don't actually mount like regular oem stuff, they always have some type of rotor hat. I assume Joel just made the appropriate rotor hat/adapter for a stock Wilwood rotor to the Alpine brake rotor mountings.

Is this the same guy as the Joel Griffin with the tricked out yellow Alger at last year's Invasion?

Todd

Yes it is.
Bill

Series6

Past President
Gold Level Sponsor
Out of the loop today

Sorry, I just got home from the Brit Car Display at the Highland Games here in Phoenix.

Eric, Sorry-I asked Joel to give me a bolt on kit like he did on the car mentioned below. I got a box of parts and instructions which I mentioned,I was able to follow and install. As I understood, all the parts were Wilwood except for the adaptor to attach the caliper to the spindle which he makes for the Alpine/Tiger. It appears that, if I ruin a dosc, I can order a replacement disc only. It appears to be a standard Wilwood vented 11". In the end, I got what I wanted. You're not a jerk for asking, I only wish I had an answer, and I appoligize for that. I can pm you his phone number if you'd like.

I had an issue with a Wilwood clutch master a few months ago and while I was on the phone with their Customer Service guy (Tarrant-good guy) I asked if there was an application for an Alpine. He refered me to Joel. Told me that Joel had made a kit or adaptor for Alpine. I called Joel and we got along. I wish I could be more helpful than that but Joel said he would be at SUNI so I expect he'll get plenty of questions.

Todd-You are 100% correct. Also, with the 15" wheels I have a much wider selection of what I can put on. I have not decided what to put on but (Again) Joel's suggestion is a 195/60 or 55R15. Should mount up and not give me interference issues. I have a long way before I make that decision. (Although I have always loved American Racing's Torque Thrust traditional 'Mag'.)

Gordonra-I would simply tell them about the kit I got from Joel. They may be able to look up a file and give you that information. he is a Wilwood distributor.

Guys, I'm not being evasive. The idea for posting in the first place is to share what I found to save someone else from a long search. I would point out that Jim E. advised me that Outlaw made a kit (With a part number in their catalog) just for Alpine/Tiger.

alpine_64

Donation Time
Not sure if my posts are invisable or not... so here we go again.. if you want a kit to blot the rotors on to your alpine

GO TO DALES RESTORATIONS IN CA. as mentioned.. he does 10.5 vented with 4 piston willwoods for stock config.. or have the 12.5 with 15" wheels.

think its www.dalesrestos.com then go to products.

64beam

Donation Time
Not sure if my posts are invisable or not... so here we go again.. if you want a kit to blot the rotors on to your alpine

GO TO DALES RESTORATIONS IN CA. as mentioned.. he does 10.5 vented with 4 piston willwoods for stock config.. or have the 12.5 with 15" wheels.

think its www.dalesrestos.com then go to products.

Hi Michael,

Don't worry too much about not having a response. It happens all the time to everyone. If there is another option that is more convenient, why not go with it (it's always good to have a second option).

Regards, Robin.

Series6

Past President
Gold Level Sponsor
For it's worth, I had heard about their kit, and I did call Dale's several times (and sent e-mails). I never got a response of any sort. Maybe they had enough business and didn't need any more, or takes new clients only thru referal. If that's the case I'm happy for them. No harm, no foul. I prefer to do business with people who return my calls or e-mails. I don't think that's too much to ask.

Don't misunderstand. They have a great reputation for quality and I'm not trying to discredit them. I found a company that will respond and I recommend them.

alpine_64

Donation Time
For it's worth, I had heard about their kit, and I did call Dale's several times (and sent e-mails). I never got a response of any sort. Maybe they had enough business and didn't need any more, or takes new clients only thru referal. If that's the case I'm happy for them. No harm, no foul. I prefer to do business with people who return my calls or e-mails. I don't think that's too much to ask.

Don't misunderstand. They have a great reputation for quality and I'm not trying to discredit them. I found a company that will respond and I recommend them.

Nick i find that an unsusual response from Dale.. e-mail.. forget it.. but phone is normally great. We are on the other side of the world and have no issues. About the only problem is he is so friendly that it can be quite a long call.. not bad if you are in USA.. but pricey when you are calling from AU!