• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Who's doin' what

sunalp

Diamond Level Sponsor
Wiring mine up too! Got a new 14 circuit harness to replace the 45 year old standard one. Also restoring gauges for the dash and finishing up some interior panels. Have to reshoot a couple of spots that didn't come out the way I wanted them to and respray a couple of coats of clear in the spring, so hopefully will have that car to a level where I can buff it out & reassemble first thing once the weather warms up. That's the plan anyway!
Cheers!
Steve

Stephen

Silver Level Sponsor
engine and brake work

I have a spare head that is being rebuilt. Going to Vizard it, and do before and after dyno check to see if any increase in HP, I will look over lower engine once I get the head back from the shop. Also I am replacing front brake hoses since rear one failed this summer, and check all the brake rubber parts I finished bonnet liner with Alpine lettering and logo, and replaced bonnet prop with SS one looks good.
:D
Stephen

Hillman

Gold Level Sponsor
My list seems to be the same as last winter. Funny, I've had the parts for at least a year. This is it:
1) Replace speedo cable.
2) New rear axle seal.
3) Adjust OD switch (ie. no falling out of OD in 3rd or 4th).
4) Figure out why I get my front wheels "dancing" after a good bump. Ideas appreciated. Then fix.

On a more hopeful note.
1) find a place to start restoration of my "other Alpine"
2) finish gathering parts for a "dark side" conversion of above
3) make some progress

Chuck Ingram

Donation Time
Its winter here.have been doing lots of snow blowing.I do mine and the widow across the street and now the neighbor 2 houses away as he has a tumor removed form his intestines.It takes about 1.5 hours if the snow is only
4 inches or so.Drive ways here are 100 feet long and wide,

On the 62 I have done the small stuff.Like installing a heater and the defroster tubes.Installing the new washer pump.Tidying up a few wires in the engine compartment.making sure everything is working.Our Police have gone overboard pulling cars over for safety inspections.They even pulled some cars out of a local car show.They are even checking to see if the lowered cars can roll on the rims.Our cover association made up of all the clubs met with them and explained how much the clubs do for the charities.So they let up some what .They really were supposed to go after street racers but the goverment insurance pushed them to go after everybody.

I finally got my hood latch working 110%.I centered it so many times and I always had to pull the release and lift the hood a bit.I made a spacer and with a couple of washers under the pin spring it works perfect.I did have to adjust the pin tillthe hood closed perfect.It is so nice to pull the release and see the hood pop up.No more contortionist movements.

After Christmas it is work in the house.

RootesRooter

Donation Time
Took my Series V out for its first test drive last weekend after four years in the garage. The Strombergs proved to be gunked up somehow, even with the fuel drained when I stored them, so I slapped the Webers on. With no air cleaners, the cars makes a ton of noise. So much so that when I punched it in first gear, a neighbor came out and threatended to call the cops on me for driving like a maniac. The fact that I was in first gear the whole time, doing less than 25mph, didn't matter. His ears told him I was going too fast and that was that.

The second outing didn't go much better. The latest anti-pollution fuel nozzles at my local Union 76 are designed such that some of the fuel backsprayed out the filler. After I tried every possible position and flow speed, all unsuccessfully, the 76 guy started reading me the riot act over the spilled gas: "Sure, it's the HOSE'S fault!" Yeah, I just LOVE having gasoline running down my virgin paint job. What a schmuck!

Left the 76 and headed down a winding country road, top down at about 35 degrees. After several miles I took a hard right onto another arterial, just to feel out the suspension and see if the old Potenzas had any stick left in them. That apparently shook a wire loose. Poof! A cloud of acrid black smoke shot from underneath the dash. The high-beam indicater light came on, the tach went dead, the ignition seemed to stumble for a couple of seconds - but kept running. I pulled over and turned it off. The smoke disapated. I re-started and idled for a few minutes, the smoke didn't come back, so I reversed course and drove it slowly back home. Now it sits again in the garage, battery disconnected, waiting for me crawl back under the dash and see what's OK and what's toast.

All in all, the best time I've had in four years!!

65beam

Donation Time
who's doin what?

i'm spending a lot of time in the shop cleaning, detailing and painting parts for our current project that is shown on my photobucket site. all the chrome has been replated and all the aluminum and stainless is polished. nothing needs rebuilt except the hydraulics so that saves a lot of time. i'm taking the rearend housing to the dipper next week so he can clean and powder coat it. we have cleaned the rear springs leaves and repainted them and i still have to reassemble them. we dipped, painted and rebuilt a complete crossmember that i bought so all that is done. our body man has started cutting and is grafting a left rear quarter from a very twisted tiger in place of the alpine quarter. we needed the tail light section and some of the side to replace the section that didn't get the proper repairs when i hit two trees a block from my house way back in march of 1970. he is using the right side since it had only a few dents from the same accident and needed very little work to clean up. i'll have everything ready and waiting when he finishes the body which i hope will be sometime next spring. we plan on taking four cars to the united in indiana next october if he gets this body finished.

64beam

Donation Time
Install EFI throttles in place where the webers are now.
Install 4, 27lb/hr injectors (for E85 fuel).
Toss the distributor, going distributorless coil on plug.

Hi,

Now this sounds very interesting, would you mind keeping us all informed on this part of the project? Now going back to the topic, I have a leaking clutch slave cylinder to replace and connect up the electric fan control through the Ez-efi controller. Other than that, it's summer here so time to enjoy the Sunbeam's and the hopefully good driving weather (if it stops raining).

Thanks, Robin.

Green67Alpine

Former SAOCA Membership Director
Platinum Level Sponsor
Sure sounds like a lot of us are going to be busy this winter, i just received a new windscreen from VB at $100 really.... how can I go wrong? Guess I'll heat up the garage and change out the screen and dash pad. Then I can do some work on the interior.

Cheers, Tom j

ceecpa

Donation Time
I'm installing a folding staircase and insulation in my garage. I've been in this house for 10 years and the garage is too cold in the winter and too hot in the summer. Having an insulated ceiling should help a lot.

Green67Alpine

Former SAOCA Membership Director
Platinum Level Sponsor
I'm installing a folding staircase and insulation in my garage. I've been in this house for 10 years and the garage is too cold in the winter and too hot in the summer. Having an insulated ceiling should help a lot.

Then there's always the house stuff, We're 10 years into a 5 year project. We put new garage doors on and being insulated has made the biggest difference in there.
Cold weather... the only time to do attic work.

Good luck, Tom j

Chuck Ingram

Donation Time

It will help.I insulated the ceiling and walls and drywalled them
However the best thing I did after that was to build a raised and insulated floor.I used 2x 4s for the stringers at 12 inch centers with 3/4 plywood.I insulated the doors as well.But the insuated floor is a treat.I keep the attached garage at about 50 degrees as I have paints and other stuff that should not be allowed to freeze.