1. Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible.

Enjoy.

Dismiss Notice

Who knew the axle ring moves!?

Discussion in '"Stock" Alpine' started by puff4, Oct 11, 2019 at 7:51 PM.

1. puff4

puff4 Gold Level Sponsor

So today I was working on my Series V’s rear axle assembly, pressing off the old axle bearings and installing new ones. The old ones came off begrudgingly with about 12 tons of force. I then cleaned up the axles in the parts washer and set about pressing on the new bearings (with the metal “inner sludge ring” in place behind them). I put a bearing separator under the steel ring near the end of the axle and then pressed on the bearing, using the ring to press against, assuming it was part of the axle. Guess what? It’s not. The bearing pressed on, and seated up against the ring, but the ring also moved nearer to the end of the axle, with the result that the bearing is only half pressed on and the wheel hub won’t go fully onto the axle. Ugh. I could not find a spec for the proper distance for that ring on the axle, so to solve my problem I pressed the bearing, sludge ring and the axle ring onto the axle as an assembly using the hub... when the hub bottomed out on the taper I figure that’s the correct location for all the items on the axle. But I’m left wondering how that ring doesn’t move on the axle while in service, allowing the axle and hub to walk out at least until the point where the axle gets thicker.

Anyone else had a problem with that ring moving? Does anyone know the proper distance for installation?

2. puff4

puff4 Gold Level Sponsor

The rings that moved on the axle shafts are the ones circled in red. They don't show as separate parts, but they do indeed press off the shafts!

[​IMG]

3. Tim R

Tim R Silver Level Sponsor

Kevin it is designed to move to locate the bearing and spacers etc. The workshop manual gives the amount that you should move it as 1/32"! In reality I usually move them more than that. When it isn't moved properly you can end up with the backplate and brake drum not meshing correctly and having a gap at the edges. I have seen loads of Alpines with this problem.
    I hope that this video might help. Tim R

4. puff4

puff4 Gold Level Sponsor

Thanks very much, Tim! So, if I’m getting you right, the ring is moved slightly outboard, then the sludge ring and bearing are pressed on just to nip up to the ring, and then the tightening of the hub pulls it all together into the proper distance?

5. Tim R

It goes Collar Ring on shaft pull slightly outwards, them fit splash guard ring, then fit bearing. The sludge guard usually stays in the axle housing but make sure it is all clean and fit assembly to axle following the video for how we re-assemble and seal ours.

As with all things I am sure that there are multiple ways to do jobs like this. The videos just show how WE do this on our Alpines. There may be people on here who disagree or do it other ways but I can tell you that our way works for us.

Tim R

6. puff4

puff4 Gold Level Sponsor

I’m not disagreeing, Tim. Indeed, I’m extremely grateful for your advice. I’m just trying to better understand. I think we are referring to the same ring. - I had thought the parts manual referred to that splash ring behind the bearing as the “inner sludge guard” (and the cupped one that fits in the axle housing recess was called the “outer sludge guard”) but I could be wrong,

But my main question is...
    Ultimately that collar ring must be moved back from the 1/32+ outboard relocation, though, right? And I presume the tightening of the hub nut accomplishes this by compressing the hub against the bearing —> splash/inner sludge ring —> collar ring, until the hub bottoms out on the axle taper?

Last edited: Oct 14, 2019 at 7:45 AM
  7. Tim R

Kevin,

I didn't mean that you were disagreeing, just that there are often people who do disagree and have their own ways of doing this type of job.

Rootes didn't make it easy with the naming of some of their parts or the way that they do their parts drawings! For example the half shaft with the collar ring (sleeve ring) on is shown as Part 38 and looks like one solid piece! It is only in the description that it says axle shaft c/w sleeve and showing both early and late Series seal assemblies on the same drawing hardly aids clarity.

The pictures attached may help to clarify the order.

In answer to your main question, once the parts are in the correct order and the collar has been moved outwards by a small amount it should all go back together correctly when the hub fits to the taper and is torqued up.

I hope that this helps.

Best Wishes,

Tim R

Rear Axle 1.jpeg Rear Axle.jpeg

8. puff4

puff4 Gold Level Sponsor

That clears it up, Tim, thanks!

And I note that the parts listing changed the name of that cupped outer ring from 'splash guard' to 'sludge guard' when it went to Series V. I guess things stopped splashing and started sludging somewhere in there! ;):D