• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

White or Black Walls

Tullamore

Donation Time
I see that in most of the period pictures these cars had wide whites or black walls, are both correct. Does the wheel color go by the same rules as the regular alpine or were the harringtons different?

I have been invited to show the car at the Salisbury Auto Classic this weekend and I want it to look as good and correct as it can as this is a prestigious invitation only event.

IMG_2102.jpg

IMG_2101.jpg

Series3Scott

Co-Founder/Past President
Platinum Level Sponsor
It's still "just" a Series II, so the wheel color rules apply.

Now as for the tires, I really like the look of the white walls, but that's just my opinion. Either black walls or white walls are correct.

65beam

Donation Time
black wall tires

they were all factory built race cars in my opinion so run blackwalls . also, didn't most of the lemans that came to the U.S. have wires ? just the opinion of a harrington owner .

atallamcs

Donation Time
b or w

By the way, very nice Harrington and you should be proud to have such a wonderful invitation. Have fun at the event and thanks for representing the Sunbeam marque.

As for the tire question. I vote for the blackwalls as the white walls should be wider. The ones pictures seem to be a later design and not as period correct. Just my opinion--I am running blackwalls on my Harrington Alpine with wires.

Bill

napa 1

Donation Time
I'm for the wide whites that came with the cars when they were new. Most promo photos of Alpines in their day show them with the wide whites. Great Le Mans by the way. Would love to see some more photos of it, and perhaps share some restoration information with you. I'm just about to have mine painted and start to put it back together.

John.

Harrington Jan

Donation Time
I agree with Scott. The tires are a matter of taste. "It's still "just" a Series II, so the wheel color rules apply". As Scott says.
To be really correct as a S. II, you have wrong wheels and hub caps.
Slim white walls did exist in the sixties.

alpine_64

Donation Time
I'd go with whatever you like.. i prefer the slim lined white walls personally.. as for what's original.. i'd say white walls would be optional.. as with everything.. why give them to you when they can charge you for them? I know the road test harringtons pre-LM's all seemed to have plain black tyres.. and one even had steel wheels.

Tullamore

Donation Time
To be really correct as a S. II, you have wrong wheels and hub caps.

According to Ian's article I do have the correct wheels and hub caps, the wheels shown with the white walls (the ones that came on the car) are painted black with foam grey painted on the outer surface just like the article. Have decided to get new black walls mounted on to those.

The article: Wheels & Tyres

If I am wrong let me know and I will start hunting for the correct wheels and hub caps for future use.

AlpineIan

SAOCA Founder
Wow... looks great. That paint needed a good polishing. Tires look nice too. Have you done anything else to the car?