• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Which engine?

remaxman

Donation Time
Engine swap list

I have a couple of 1.6 Miata engines laying around that I could use. I would like to stay low budget in the economy. But on the other hand I just want to find the right option for my Alpine. It seems most Carpi engines are $500-$1000 +/- rebuild and then head work, etc. If I could find something that I did not have to rebuild that would be super. The Nissan and Toyota engine may have some possiblities. I just was never impressed by the 2.8L V6.

I found three sets of Hillman Minx spindles that are to lower the Alpines an inch or so but I figure I should wait on them under I have my engine swap complete and then check ride hieght.

Bill Blue

Platinum Level Sponsor
Hi Remaxman,

I understand that some guys aren´t very excited about Ford engines, but the Ford 2.8 V6 is the easiest and cheapest engine to use.

Jose

Don't think so. Serviceable Ford 2.3's (and 2.5's) are available for cheap, are not particularly difficult to install and can be purchased with a 5 speed tranny attached.

Bill

remaxman

Donation Time
Engine swap list

I thought the 2.3 For was a little long for the Alpine. If there plenty of room for radiator and fans, etc.

Does anyone know if a 318i BMW engine has ever been tried. I can get one of those for cheap. I have not had a chance to measure yet.

robertf

Donation Time
Do you have pics of the mazda engine swaps? I've searched everywhere, but couldn't find anyone who has actually done one.

Miata engines are dirt cheap compared to other stuff of the same vintage. The cars themselves hold their value but the mazda specific wrecking yards don't seem to know that.

64beam

Donation Time
Robin, do you have any info on the Duratec 2.0 that has been installed? I'd like to see how some of my "issues" were solved. Not that they cannot be solved, I'd just like to see some alternate possibilities.
Bill

Hi Bill,

Sorry, but I don't have any more information than what you know. The list that posted were conversions that I have either seen or know of through the forums.

Regards, Robin.

64beam

Donation Time
I thought the 2.3 For was a little long for the Alpine. If there plenty of room for radiator and fans, etc.

Does anyone know if a 318i BMW engine has ever been tried. I can get one of those for cheap. I have not had a chance to measure yet.

Hi,

I thought the BMW engines were installed on an angle. If so, I would assume that there would be a lot of modification necessary but may still be suitable.

Regards, Robin.

Bill Blue

Platinum Level Sponsor

The guys that have installed Ford 2.3's always seem to grouse about the overall length, but are able to install them, along with radiator and fan, without major surgery to the Alpine. I think perhaps one of Jose's steering links would help solve that problem.

Bill

remaxman

Donation Time
BMW M44 engine (318i)

It seems the problems with most engine swap for the Alpine is the exhaust clearance to steering gearbox. I keep looking at the BMW M44 engine which has the exhaust on the other side (passenger side).

I cannot seem to find anyone who has considered this engine. I will have to take more detail measurement but after a few quick looks...I think it will fit!

If so what great option. 138hp, can buy a whole wreck car for $500, and the engine gets 35 MPG.

Does anyone know of someone who has done one? This would be a great engine for car with cut firewall. You could set the engine way back and make is handle great!

husky drvr

Platinum Level Sponsor
It seems the problems with most engine swap for the Alpine is the exhaust clearance to steering gearbox. I keep looking at the BMW M44 engine which has the exhaust on the other side (passenger side).

I cannot seem to find anyone who has considered this engine. I will have to take more detail measurement but after a few quick looks...I think it will fit!

If so what great option. 138hp, can buy a whole wreck car for $500, and the engine gets 35 MPG.

Does anyone know of someone who has done one? This would be a great engine for car with cut firewall. You could set the engine way back and make is handle great!

A cut firewall and conversion to rack and pinion steering would greatly increase the choice of possible engines. I've wondered about a BMW engine, but never tried to find one to look at for comparison. Keep us posted.

Jim E

Donation Time
To me a cut firewall and rack conversion would only lead to one engine... then it has been done before.

bashby

Donation Time
Nissan CA18DET

The Nissan CA18DET 1.8 liter, turbocharged, intercooled (JDM engine the non-turbo was imported to the US) and 5-speed fit into the Alpine, no firewall, cross-member, steering or cowl support issues at all. As it is a 5-speed the shifter comes out where the ash tray is/was. The trans tunnel needs to be massaged a little back by the shifter. Had to fab the exhaust manifold and engine mounts.
Mine is getting there I removed a very tired 2.6 V6 (non-Jose) with a C4 auto. Hope to have the engine built and in by Christmas.
The engine easily achieves 200+ HP
Working on the body...

Bill Blue

Platinum Level Sponsor
The Ford Pinto 2.0 and all 2.3's have the exhaust on the passenger side. The only Ford 4 that I'm aware of that has the exhaust on the drivers side is the Zetec. I think the best thing to do with the SOHC Ford engines would be to bolt a plate onto the engine mount bosses and and place the engine mounts (doughnuts) above the steering arms. That would allow placement of the mounts to be relocated to increase exhaust clearance.

Bill

sunbeamowner

Bronze Level Sponsor
Nissan CA18DET

The Nissan CA18DET 1.8 liter, turbocharged, intercooled (JDM engine the non-turbo was imported to the US) and 5-speed fit into the Alpine, no firewall, cross-member, steering or cowl support issues at all. As it is a 5-speed the shifter comes out where the ash tray is/was. The trans tunnel needs to be massaged a little back by the shifter. Had to fab the exhaust manifold and engine mounts.
Mine is getting there I removed a very tired 2.6 V6 (non-Jose) with a C4 auto. Hope to have the engine built and in by Christmas.
The engine easily achieves 200+ HP
Working on the body...

Like this one?

Attachments

• 7e7b_1.JPG
    7e7b_1.JPG
    32.1 KB · Views: 71