1. Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Dismiss Notice

Where are you buying new door edge, weatherstrip rubber?

Discussion in 'Factory Original Alpines & Tigers' started by jumpinjan, Feb 6, 2021.

1. jumpinjan

jumpinjan Bronze Level Sponsor

The door-edge weatherstrip rubber from Rick (p/n DP54) don't fit and they are not like the originals. I bought a set and they are not right at all, so I'm not installing them.
    So, any suggestions? Alpine West Midlands in the UK?
    Jan

2. DanR

DanR Diamond Level Sponsor

3. jumpinjan

Thanks Dan, but it looks like the same strip that Rick sells...it's not right:
    Jan
    [​IMG]

4. DanR

I will be needing some soon. I may have some from an old purchase in storage somewhere, will search to see what is different.

Don't recall if I removed all of the original from my 3819 SIVa yet either

5. DanR

Check with Curt at Classic Sunbeam New York, He just may have something different....

6. bulldurham

bulldurham Platinum Level Sponsor

Could that be why I am having door closing problems on my Ser.III??

7. DanR

Doug, Could be if the rubber is too thick !

8. jumpinjan

9. Aladin Sane

Aladin Sane Gold Level Sponsor

Great, I have a set of Ricks stuff already bought, but not yet installed.

Wayne67vert likes this.
  10. bernd_st

bernd_st Bronze Level Sponsor

Thought West Midlands is out of service. Sue retired...

Last edited: Feb 6, 2021
  11. jumpinjan

If you try to install Rick's (or whoever's weatherstrip), it can ONLY install backwards and as such will not work to seal out the weather (huge gap)...it's like you might just leave it off the door! As an example, look at strips installed on the cars out there.....they are ALL installed backwards.
    Jan

12. pruyter

pruyter Donation Time

Although Alpine West Midlands does not exist anymore the rest of their stock is taken over by Sunbeam Spares and ordering from them one can use the parts numbers AWM used. I have done so and it works.

Regards,

Peter

13. bernd_st

bernd_st Bronze Level Sponsor

Sounds like a temporary thing. "As long as stocks last"...

14. Hillman

Hillman Gold Level Sponsor

15. DanR

I have some of the stripping for one of my Projects ('SIV GT BW35) from an order back in 2009 from Sunbeam Specialties that is still wrapped up like I received it. And a piece left over from a more recent purchase (2015 ?).

The more recent piece, even though very similar in shape and size, it is much harder and does not compress in thickness as does what is in the 2009 order. I'd say the difference is about half the compression between the two (very hard).

16. MikeH

MikeH Platinum Level Sponsor

I wonder if some place like Steele Rubber Products could reproduce the original for a group buy.

17. alpine_64

alpine_64 Donation Time

COH Baines should have the correct profile

18. Silver Creek Sunbeam

Silver Creek Sunbeam Platinum Level Sponsor

I’ve used these guys for a few things...not sure if what they have is different from what you got from SS but you can take a look.

I’ve gotten a few things from them that I couldn’t get in the US.

They are in England but reasonable on shipping times and cost.
    https://www.sunbeamalpinetigerspares.co.uk/

Last edited: Feb 6, 2021
  19. bobbo

bobbo Gold Level Sponsor

I'll send McGregors an e-mail. See if can send a sample to me.
    If it is OK I'm going to order a set.
    Anyway if I get a sample I can tuck it in the door channel and take some photos.
    Bob

20. bobbo

bobbo Gold Level Sponsor

E-mail sent, asked for sample. I'll stay in touch.
    Bob