• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Wheels, tires on Series V

alpine_64

Donation Time
Hey, you have my favorite wheels mounted on your car, very nice.

Also, I see you have adapted telescopic shocks to your SII, any chance you can take a more detailed photo of the adapter?

THX in advance.

Jarrid

IIRC we got some pics of this setup a while back, IIRC he wa also runnig some osrt of custom rear sway bar setup by some formula ford suspension guru... or is my memory playing tricks. I just remeber quite heated discussions about the effects of the rear sway bar on alpines/tigers and remember thinking the rear shock conversion was very well engineered.

65beam

Donation Time
wheels

switching to tube shocks on a series 2 is not difficult. my other harrington had it done in the late 60's. they welded flat steel for reinforcement under the area where the holes are drilled for shocks on later series alpines. they drilled two holes based on measurments from a later alpine. then they installed a series 4 or 5 rear axle housing with the right mountings. they retained the series 2 springs also.

RootesRacer

Donation Time
switching to tube shocks on a series 2 is not difficult. my other harrington had it done in the late 60's. they welded flat steel for reinforcement under the area where the holes are drilled for shocks on later series alpines. they drilled two holes based on measurments from a later alpine. then they installed a series 4 or 5 rear axle housing with the right mountings. they retained the series 2 springs also.

Based on the pictures above, it looks to me like the shock tower may bolt to the chassis (in place of the level shocks).

I am all about tasteful, functional mods, especially ones that arent permanent.

alpine_64

Donation Time

bob,

I had modded my SII many years back and have seen many ways. Im all for making a bracket that helps feed the laod back into the mounts for the SII levers as that area is designed for it. Also on the later cars they had amost a fly tower style pressing that gave some extra height for the shocks.

Lots of people have done it many ways.. but i remeber this install (if its the same one) was very well engineered.

Toyanvil

Gold Level Sponsor
alpine 64 You're memory is not playing tricks on you. It's the same car, and that thread is the reason I don't play on this site very much. I have had my Ser II a long time and love playing with it. I have made a lot of changes in that time, some good and some bad and I was trying to help save someone time and money.
RootesRacer. yes, all my mounts bolt to stock holes.
172052954_rmnKS-M.jpg

172052961_2yJ3r-M.jpg

Here is the Famous sway bar :) P.S it's a Nissan rear end.
13456990_QCA2s-M.jpg

Here's a link to my pictures of my car, if you are really bored.
http://toyanvil.smugmug.com/Cars/Sunbeam/314447_icwCY#13456990_QCA2s

puff4

Platinum Level Sponsor
Can you tell me where you got the sway bar? I need to make one for my Triumph Renown... it came with a rear sway bar as standard equipment, but mine is broken, and it looks a LOT like yours.

alpine_64

Donation Time
alpine 64 You're memory is not playing tricks on you. It's the same car, and that thread is the reason I don't play on this site very much. [/URL]

Well, glad for 3 things..
A. my memory is still good.
B. Despite getting a hard time you at least are coming back to play a bit :D
C. I was right.. well should i say i still think im right.. it's a very elegant solution for the rear mounts. It is similar to what i did, but yours is nicer. I had my mounts welded to the alpine axel housing.. i also leaned my shocks in and it made a big difference.

64beam

Donation Time
I plan to install a set of Minilite-like 14" wheels on our Series V. It seems to me that 175-70 x 14 tires should work. I know little about Tigers but my belief is that it was the Alpine body with a Ford engine and the larger 14" wheels. (I remember them running autocrosses in the 1960s and they went great in a straight line but couldn't turn efficiently. But, that's another story.)

Is my plan viable?

Thanks

Hi,

When I was looking for new rubber on the Tiger which is fitted with 14" rims, I got 185/60's as is was the closest to the original 13" diameter for the Tiger. The 70 series profile will give you an incorrect reading with 14" rims. I also did some online research and found a tire/rim calculator. Worth a look and the tire shop confirmed the size.

Regards, Robin.

Toyanvil

Gold Level Sponsor
I picked mine up 20 years ago, but you can still get them. my is a Addco. I made my own mounts out of Bultaco handlebar mounts machined for the bar and the links I made from old shock ends, I cut off the ends and welded them together and used urethane bushing.
http://www.jegs.com/i/ADDCO/020/925/10002/-1?parentProductId=1130507
Can you tell me where you got the sway bar? I need to make one for my Triumph Renown... it came with a rear sway bar as standard equipment, but mine is broken, and it looks a LOT like yours.

greenbeam

Platinum Level Sponsor
It really depends on the offset of the wheels as to whether they miss/hit body work. If you want to be sure beforehand, check with others as to the wheel offset *and* tyre size they use. Offset is stamped on the rim on my Minilite clones. Jarrid Gross helped me work out my offset/tyre size problem some years back (thanks Jarrid!).

Note that Alpines have different track width front to rear, so what fills the rear fenders will probably hit the front, if the same offset rim is used front & back.
Cheers,
Paul.