• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Wheel spacers

Hodee

Donation Time
Has anyone used wheel spacers to widen the rear track? I'm only trying to gain 1/8 inch each side. Not wanting to buy new wheelset as offset is already 24mm.

Barry

Diamond Level Sponsor
I don't recall ever seeing a 1/8" wheel spacer. Out of curiosity, what is 1/8" going to accomplish?

GlennB

Silver Level Sponsor
if you fit Ford 1600E Rostyle wheels then you need the 1/8 spacer to allow the wheel to sit properly against the brake drum. Maybe the same with other non standard wheels. Otherwise I can't see it will help much with handling.

alpine_64

Donation Time
Sunbeam specialties sold spacers that helped aftermarket wheels seat against the drums due to the cast weights on the drums face.

A word of caution on spacers on the back. If your alloy wheels have a thick central hub even with a shallow spacers you may have limited threads on the studs for the nuts.

Alpine66

Donation Time
No experience with the shims that simply slip over existing lugs, but just found a problem with the type that are lug nutted down and have their own lugs, 1" thick.

Been chasing a vibration problem for a while on my 71 Cougar, back rotors were good, showed no problems with dial indicator.
On a whim checked the spacer which was way out of round. Tried playing with it but it was useless.
So pulled it, problem solved.

Ken Ellis

Donation Time
I have spacers on my rear wheels. They're American Racing mags on a SV, and need to come out a little for clearance and looks. They were on the car when I got it, but don't recall checking what things are like without the spacers. I did replace rear studs because there were too few threads engaged for my comfort.

Making thicker spacers thinner is an easy 5 minute task with a decent lathe or mill.

Hodee

Donation Time
I'm running very wide and tall rear tires to help with gearing ratio at highway speeds. 225/60/15. After hitting a dip etc. there is a slight rub on the inside fender well as the leaf springs flex and the rear axle "pivots". I think just 1/8 inch outward would reduce this issue.

Barry

Diamond Level Sponsor
That is a really wide tire to put in an Alpine rear wheel well, especially with the extra diameter. Two people have told me they could not get away from occasional rubbing with a 225 section width rear tire. Rolling the fender lips might allow moving the wheel / tire outward a little more.

Hodee

Donation Time
Lips have already been trimmed underneath. I have been running this way for about 5 years and only minor rub on the wells under heavy compression. I ordered the 3mm spacers for each side and gonna see how that goes. Plenty of stud length with the VTO wheels.