• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

What was once a tiger

Warren

Bronze Level Sponsor
Unfortunately It's like what's happens in Vegas stays in Vegas even though it isn't always true.
The tar brush has slathered this wreck on CAT, Fakebook, and here. Notice that it has an Alpine dash, This is way too late for a black dash car.

RootesRooter

Donation Time
If enough of the firewall and tranny tunnel are salvageable, you've got a TAC-able Tiger that can be transferred into another lucky 'donor' Alpine shell.

Warren

Bronze Level Sponsor
Ummm the whole point of these threads is to place a 21 century scarlet A on the VIN number.
A TAC sticker is not removable even though he whose name shan't be mentioned always crowed that stupid story of removing and reattaching a TAC sticker.
You know the same guy who says he converted a Mark 2 Tiger to a series 5 Alpine because that's what he wanted.
I Don't know if you're talking about building a whole car around the firewall and the transmission tunnel but that's pretty ridiculous. I know of a couple project cars for under $20

Last edited:

alpine_64

Donation Time
If enough of the firewall and tranny tunnel are salvageable, you've got a TAC-able Tiger that can be transferred into another lucky 'donor' Alpine shell.
While i understand the sentiment of your contention the reality is quite different.

You could potentially get this car TAC'd if it has enough traces of the original Jensen handiwork... There was a shell down under that had a TAC sticker on the remnants of the car...

As for then cutting the scuttle and trans tunnel out and moving to a donor alpine... There would be a bunch of other tell tales missing from the " new" car.... And the records of what the car looked lile at time of TAC and what it looked like acter resto would likely instigate some push for a inspection...

RootesRooter

Donation Time
A photo was posted several years ago of a scuttle and tranny tunnel, alone, that had just been TAC'd. Whether the new metal eventually attached around it bears evidence of Tiger manufacture is irrelevant.

While i understand the sentiment of your contention the reality is quite different.

You could potentially get this car TAC'd if it has enough traces of the original Jensen handiwork... There was a shell down under that had a TAC sticker on the remnants of the car...

As for then cutting the scuttle and trans tunnel out and moving to a donor alpine... There would be a bunch of other tell tales missing from the " new" car.... And the records of what the car looked lile at time of TAC and what it looked like acter resto would likely instigate some push for a inspection...

alpine_64

Donation Time
The component you mentioned could be TAC'd ... But putting that into another car would not transfer the identity of the donor VIN.

Its also not like the notes taken on the inspection will not mention that all other evidence ( the rest of the whole car) was missing... So if said scuttle and tunnel turn up as a complete car with that TAC the certificate would be invalidated i would gather and require inspection

If you restore a TAC'd car and for example the sticker got sandblasted or body dipped they dont supply you the same number .. They reinspect the car and assign a new sticker and certificate.

So yes.. You COULD weld a tunnel and scuttle woth the sticker attached into another car... But it wouldn't be long before a ? Would be raised.... More so if the TAC had been issued to a scuttle and tunnel only...

Bill Blue

Platinum Level Sponsor
"But putting that into another car would not transfer the identity of the donor VIN."

Okay, so the enterprising builder would have to to cut out the VIN panel and weld it onto the new body. Its been done before.

Bill

Warren

Bronze Level Sponsor
Why do guys beat down the program? Regular guys don't see the notes on a car. You don't have to know that a lot of things can be missing. There's a reason why guys post up pictures of wrecks like this.
And there's a reason why there is a lot of hobby type guys following in Norms footprints.
Nowadays It's pretty simple to Google the VIN on a car and come up with a lot of history.

Let's get back to the reason why this was posted It's to post and document the Providence or Rustutidence
LoL enterprising builder.
If the things coming in with a bill of sale to most states it'll get a secondary stamping or ID.
I don't recall seeing a title on this pile.

How do you guys feel when you're watching one of the auction shows and the guys say call the clone ranger.

There's a reason why when you drive on to Balboa Island in Newport Beach California when the first big signs you see is one for plastic surgery people like pretty things even if they're fake.

alpine_64

Donation Time
"But putting that into another car would not transfer the identity of the donor VIN."

Okay, so the enterprising builder would have to to cut out the VIN panel and weld it onto the new body. Its been done before.

Bill
Yes cohld be done . and probably people have done so..

What im saying is if this car was inspected and certified .. Then appeared as a fully rebuilt car later its likely the work done would remove the sticker... Or would be extensive enough that the restored car would need another pass through the process.

Sure anything can be done. And if someone is determined enough... Has deep enough pockets.. Or skill.. Or knowledge.... They can probably make a good run at commiting fraud...

Bill Blue

Platinum Level Sponsor
While not into Tigers, I've never heard of a Tiger being decertified. Once a Tiger, always a Tiger.
Bill

alpine_64

Donation Time
While not into Tigers, I've never heard of a Tiger being decertified. Once a Tiger, always a Tiger.
Bill
Im going to go with you are being tounge in cheek... Given you know TAC ....
If the factory built it yes... If you swap some bits INTO an alpine ...no..

If i take your liver and lungs. Have your passport... It dont make me Bill Blue .....

A car can be TAC certified.. Can get wrecked. Rusted etc.. Has to go again.
If the sticker gets removed... They have to be recertified...that has happened several times..

The TAC program is getting on...some early cars certified will have gone through restoration since.

Warren

Bronze Level Sponsor
If you remove a sticker the process must happen again to get another sticker, then another number is issued for the same VIN. The notes and the records reflect that . There an online STOA check but it's not so detailed as to show a re TACed car. Cars that were on Norms old site show an * if questionable even if TACed.
The * car can be a legit car with compromised trans, axle, lock numbers. All Tiger owners or speculators can't be like some Ford cars that more exist now than were built . A 110 % survival rate won't happen. Nor will they make a *Tupperware Tiger.

* Fiberglass

Bill Blue

Platinum Level Sponsor
I recognize the situation where the sticker has been removed. Requiring re certification due to an extensive rebuild on a stickered car, well no. As stated, new liver and lungs do not change who a person is, nor does new fenders, doors, trunk lid, engine, transmission, floor pan and "front clip" change what a Tiger is.

Bill

alpine_64

Donation Time
Bill , if one was to take the case of what rootesrooter had said and use a sole scuttle and trans tunnel that was inspected ( sans rest of car) and weld that into another body and retain sticker... While the scuttle would still bear the tag and tac the notes from inspection will state what was present and wasnt ... And that car would come under a cloud. Im not sure if the tac group would invalidate it without it being offered for reinspection ( id guess for legal reasons they may not) but if offered for inspection again.. Passing might be hard....

Bill if i misunderstood you and you are saying this car could be rebuilt... I agree with you.. Throw enough money at it and cut carefully to save what must be and you could " save" the car.

If you got this thing TAC'd as is.. Then cut the firewall/ scuttle out and welded it into a donor alpine.. It ain't a tiger anymore its whatever siv alpine it always was with some parts from a tiger welded in.

So if i misunderstood you and confused that you were suggesting you could remove the metal with the tac on amd transfer to a donor alpine as a legitimate tiger... Then apologies if i interpreted it that way

Alpine 1789

SAOCA President
Diamond Level Sponsor
I imagine the key is in the term "legitimate". I would venture to say that many (if not most) restored Tigers have a lot of Alpine in them. TAC aside, what is the point where a Tiger ceases to be a Tiger and becomes an Alger? If a wrecked/rusted Tiger gets an Alpine front clip welded on, is it still a Tiger? What if the rear clip is also damaged and replaced? There are clearly illegal ways to "restore" a Tiger by swapping VINs and other key TAC'd parts, but it seems like there is a whole lot of wiggle room between a pure, unadulterated Tiger and an Alger.

I don't know the answer to the question.

RootesRooter

Donation Time
So Alpine 64, you're saying that scuttle and tranny tunnel, which was TAC'd, could never be restored as a complete automobile again? The TAC sticker would be rather pointless in that case, eh?

If the TAC'd scuttle/tranny turns up with a new shell, that wouldn't make it any less of a Tiger. It still has the same parts which were judged adequate to make it a Tiger.