• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

What was I thinking?cross country in a Tiger???.

Duke

Donation Time
What was I thinking…cross country in a Tiger……….

……………with a generator.

I get up at 0350 on Thursday morning with a 740 mile trip to Round Rock, TX ahead of me. The Tiger had been extensively prepped for the trip to include a fresh pan of oil and pressure blead brakes. I even put the hard top on the car to the detriment of the paint under its feet.

I am on the road at 0500 in the dark and rain. Around 20 minutes into the drive I notice that the AMP meter is reading a steady 10 amp drain. I step on the clutch and let the engine drop to idle hoping that the generator will pick up the load again, it does not. At 0620 I am in Lawrence, KS (in the rain) looking for an auto parts store. I need another voltage regulator. The regulator on the car is only a month old. I turn off the lights and am running on the parking lights only to the dismay of fellow motorist that insist on notifying me that my lights are not on by flashing.

I pull into an Advance Auto parts story and turn off the engine. For grins I try to start it again, not even a click from the solenoid, the battery is dead. The store opens and hour later and to my dismay find out that they do not have a regulator. In fact no one has one in that town. Advanced could have one delivered from another store at 1100…..so I wait. The battery is pulled (in the rain) and put on a charger and I go and get breakfast….in the rain. An hour later, I push the car under an overhang at the front of a closed grocery store and install the battery. While waiting a guy pulls up and introduces himself as a fellow Tiger owner. We talk for awhile, he offers any help he can and then I get a call from the store that my part has arrived. I quickly install the regulator and am on my way…in the rain. The AMP meter is showing a nice +10 amp. The generator is working again.

In fact, it is working too well……..the amp output never drops off even after hours of driving. The new regulator is over charging and over volting the system. My temp and fuel gauge max out due to the over voltage. I continue on and even disconnect the generator for two hours of driving. I finally get to my destination at 2200. I also have a nice ticket from a Police Officer that I received 4.5 miles from my destination. 90 in a 65, I was feeling froggy and passed some traffic at the wrong time. It was I 35 and had four lanes to play with. The radar detector on the dash did not help as he came up behind me.

The next day, I go to the local Advanced Auto parts and order another voltage regulator. I also decide that I must have a spare generator for the return journey. I get on the internet and phone looking for a generator. Absolutely no luck, I even get laughed at by some people. I did get a tip to call Thrall salvage in Thrall, TX. The guy tells me he has several on the shelf and it is only 30 minutes from my location. I drive there and pick one up, in good condition and for $40. I then drop it off at Texas Alternator and Starter for it to be rebuilt. The new regulator arrives and I install it. The system is now charging properly but I fear that the generator on the car is on borrowed time due to the overcharging ordeal. Before I head back up to Kansas on Friday, I will install the rebuilt generator and use the other as a spare.

On my return trip Friday, I look forward to stopping by Andy Walkers place, meeting him and seeing his car.

Hopefully it will be a non eventful return trip………………………………yea, right.

Series6

Past President
Gold Level Sponsor
I can't believe the Officer wrote you a ticket. Most of the cops I know will give Vintage Cars a stern "y'all slow down now ya'hear" and then spend the next 15 minutes talking about it. Guy must have been a Mopar fan, still pissed that Chrysler had to honor warranties on Ford products.

I admire you for taking the car on a road trip.:cool:

alpine_64

Donation Time
…… I also have a nice ticket from a Police Officer that I received 4.5 miles from my destination. 90 in a 65,QUOTE]

Duke.. im moving to america!.. if i did that i get a ticket and 1.5 years free accomodation and food, not to mention the fact i wont be allowed to drive for quite a while again!!!

TulsaAlpine

Donation Time
I feel Jaded!

;) Stopping to see Andy in OKC and by passing Tulsa, guess if I had a Tiger and a Alpine Race car it would help to encourage stopping, I just have my old patched together Alpine. But hey if your not in a big rush home we should weather permitting be at the Oldie and Goodie Show in Bartlesville on Saturday, see link: http://oldiesngoodiescarclub.com/
Not sure if I will drive the Alpine or Saturn Sky but Jim will be in PUMPK1N so look for the 06 Daytona Sunset Orange Coupe Corvette with the "PUMPK1N" car tag.
BTW I would stop to see Andy's toys myself, but wait I have seen both already, not his slot car collection though!

Donna
:D

Duke

Donation Time
UPDATE -

Got back from Nashville today. My fried picked up the rebuilt generator for me while I was gone. I installed it this morning. Did a shakedown drive and soon had the old gen dropping off-line above 3000 rpm again. This is with the newly $140 rebuilt generator.

I then discovered that the generator spewed orange wax all over the hood and then stopped charging completely.

I drove back to the place that rebuilt the gen and they soon asked me to pull it. Apparently the armature was bad. They installed a new arm and with it back on the car indicated 15 amps of charge. I was telling them that it looks like it is over charging again but it could be a low battery. I took off for the 20 minute drive back to my friend’s house and the gen stopped charging shortly into the drive. I put the old gen back on and it is charging normaly.

I will send this “rebuilt” gen back here once I am home for them to FIX IT! I hope to be at Andy’s by 1300 and may need a charge.

Oh yea….my water pump has started to make some unusual noises. Andy….got a spare pump?

64beam

Donation Time
Hi Duke,

I bet this is not the trip that you expected. You would be so frustrated to say the least. Is it time to upgrade to an alternator or do you want to keep the generator for originality perposes? How did your freshened up engine perform?

Regards, Robin.