• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

What series

DanR

Diamond Level Sponsor
Another possible contact would be the SAOC of the UK.

They are quite knowledgeable on all Sunbeams.

I had a bit of trouble getting a copy of a publication they print entitled" The Alpine Guide" but I was rewarded very nicely when it arrived to my home!

Had a difficult time not wanting to read the entire Guide at one sitting.

Now it is a "ready Reference" on a daily basis as I attempt to do work on my Alpine(s).

alpine_64

Donation Time
Jose is correct,

The fastback Alpines were part of the hunter/rapier/alpine/scepter series of cars known as the "arrow" group of cars of rootes cars.

These were platform shared with different underpinnings to the series alpine sports cars, but used the rootes 1725 motors (canted over) and gearbox.

65beam

Donation Time
series

the only items the fastback GT's shared with the series 5 alpines was the engine and the third member of the rearend. the late series 5's used the block with the engine mounts on the sides. these can be used in a fastback but the early series 5 1725 engines can not be used in a fastback due to not having the side engine mounting. the tranmission is different from the series alpines. it has different gear ratios and also longer input and tail shafts. this trans was used in early jenson healeys. the dual carb fastback was badged as a rapier in the UK but here in the states the rapier was called the alpine GT. the other version was called an alpine in the UK. the alpine coupe used a cast iron head hillman engine with the US version having tons of emmision items added to the engine. my GT's have always been in the rare rootes or other rootes class depending on the club or brit show. they do not carry a series designation.

mini cuda

Donation Time
Thanks for the information. It seems as though I will be spending some time looking for parts in the UK. Some, but not many parts here in the US.