• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

What is this?

RootesRooter

Donation Time
Looks like the brake line fitting to the fluid reservoir on a Series V, though the bar holding it looks kinda funky. I'm guessing the homemade bar is held to the firewall by a couple of equally non-stock looking screws?

jmthehermit

Donation Time
That looks like a home made bracket and switch to activate a work light in the engine bay. Just like the old style courtesy light switches to turn on the interior lights when you'd open the door.

Armand4

Donation Time
jmthehermit's answer seems reasonable to me--check to see if there are any wires or other electrical connections.

Bill Blue

Platinum Level Sponsor
Sorry, but the image is not any any larger on my screen. Main difference is the photo is now round instead of oval. It does have the general appearance of the reservoir outlet fitting. If it has a hole through it and there are cross holes in the top portion, I'd bet money on that identification.

Bill

Jeb Stuart

Platinum Level Sponsor
I think RootesRooter is right. It is the bracket to hold the reservior for the master brake cylinder.

JConstable

Donation Time
Wow, I can actually make a contribution! Although not original given the answers of several others, I'll go with the brake fluid reservoir bracket option especially given the placement relative to the accelerator linkage.

John

skywords

Donation Time
I'm guessing you have the Maxwell Smart car and that is a machine gun mount. All kidding aside that bracket looks riveted to the FW and the fastener at the fwd end looks like it has a machined step indicating a pivot point of some sort.

Jeb Stuart

Platinum Level Sponsor
Twospeed,

Give us a wider picture of this area. I am still thinking bracket for reservior however w/ an Alpine anything is possible - even a machinegun mount. Who was the guy with 60's vinatge hole under his console to ditch the baggy when pulled over?

65beam

Donation Time
what is this

it's nothing that was ever on any alpine or tiger . take it off and throw it in the scrap bin .

Randy

Diamond Level Sponsor
I'm going with the earlier thought that it's a courtesy light or for maybe an alarm system. The photo is not too clear, but it looks like the plunger has rust solid and the wires would have been on the bottom side.

Like some one said, it's junk remove it.

Andrew

SAOCA Web/Graphics Service
Donation Time
What is this???

Yes it is a reservior holder for the master brake cylinder.
My SV parts car has the same hardware. A line runs from the master up to this hardware that holds a remote reservior.

Andrew

65beam

Donation Time
what is this

andrew ,
if you have a part that looks like this,you also have a homemade part .this is not an original part for a series 5 .

Jeb Stuart

Platinum Level Sponsor
I am still going w/ the mount for the brake fluid. That is an early car SII or III am guessing from the carbs. My SIII has this braket. The other side of the firewall, I believe, is the top to the braket pedal braket. It could also be home made to hook up a master w/ this kind of remote reservior.

Andrew

SAOCA Web/Graphics Service
Donation Time
??? Homemade???

andrew ,
if you have a part that looks like this,you also have a homemade part .this is not an original part for a series 5 .

No, I know it is a standard part. Both my S3 and my SV have the same MC.
It could be that my SV has an old MC assembly installed but my S3 is original.
The assembly is also published in my Rootes Parts list and assembly manual, publication no. 6600992
I have provided the assembly image.
I think the part numbers are:

Here is a photo of the part.
stdimage1.jpg

Here is the Parts Cat/Drawing.
stdimage2.jpg

Regards,
Andrew

RootesRich

Donation Time
Andrew and Jeb are correct. This is the MC res bracket and res inlet. remove the plastic res and this is what's left. It is not a homemade part.