• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

What is powder coating?

Rsgwynn1

Silver Level Sponsor
I'm looking at $600+ to rechrome my bumpers. Can powder coating give me something comparable at a better price? I'm not out to win concourse competitions.

Sam

skywords

Donation Time
Negitive. Powder coating is nothing more than a paint application and would not be my chioce for paint. It is very hard and is impossible to remove. Do the chrome.
Don't go for the cheap chrome either, you will just be flushing your money. Pay the Piper and be done with it. The more you bring to the plater the better deal you will get in most cases so if anything else needs it have it done at the same time. And check with other restoration people in your area to make sure the plater is on the up and up. It is to large an investment to get screwed by a bad job or lost parts. I have a friend in my area that took some near perfect Austin Healey OEM bumpers to the local chrome guy and what he got back was straightened plated junk from someone elses car. Mark your parts with an electric pencil in a hidden area such as the inside surface of the bumpers.

Fastback

Donation Time
Sam:
I'll suggest a cheaper route: post an ad for some decent used bumpers and skip the investment of a ceramic coating or chrome plating, since you're not going for concours quality. Just mounted a set of bumpers and overriders for a customer who had them done in L.A. by "The Bumper Boys"; nice "Street" finish, not perfect, and $700.

Wayne

jmthehermit

Donation Time
$700 for a "street finish" from the The Bumper Boyz is outrageous. These guys have a rotten reputation among the Hot Rod and Custom crowd. Many have fallen prey to them because of the so called "good deal". Go to the Jalopey Journal, register into the H.A.M.B. and ask for opinions about the Bumper Boyz. This site doesn't have a censor so be prepared for very frank replys. The Bumper Boys are an exchange operation so if you send in a solid core you probably won't get yours back. Check the Better Business Bureau report on them. Go to a Good Guys event or any large rod and custom show and talk to owners about their rechroming experiences. If you're set on rechroming bite the bullet and have it done right. Find a recommended local shop and inspect their quality of work. It's a lot easier to deal face to face if any problems arise.