• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

What is best oil for an alpine...thx john

Barry

Diamond Level Sponsor
(Sitting here eating popcorn, waiting for the show to start...)

Yep, here we go down the rabbit hole yet again. Maybe being in the Free to a Good Home (???) sub-forum will calm the rowdies.

Last edited:

alpine_64

Donation Time
Ok.. One could go through the myriad of previous postings on this topic.. thankfully our favourite troll will not be contributing to the topic.

A good quality oil with the most zddp you can find would be a start. If the engine is a fresh build and nice and tight and you arent driving in extreem weather etc you could use a 10-40 .. If its a bit older 20-50 ...

Some guys run the brad penn straight 30 ...

Also the fully synthetic seem to find their way out of alpine motors.. So id avoid those

puff4

Platinum Level Sponsor
Kennon, please don’t feel I disrespected you by my comment, but this topic has been discussed ad nauseum on this forum, and often with heated discussion, due in no small part to a particular member - and self-appointed expert on all things - who has since been, thankfully, banished from this otherwise helpful bunch of folks (hence Alpine_64’s comment about “our favorite troll”).

When looking for answers to your questions regarding your Alpine, I encourage you to use this forum’s search feature first. For many questions, such as this common one, this will answer your query straight away and you won’t have to wait for replies. For situations where you still have questions for which answers are not apparent or complete, we all stand ready to gladly assist you.

I should also note that there are certain questions that, when asked in an open British car forum, elicit a Pavlovian reaction. For example, if you dare to ask what oil is best to use in the carburettor’s dashpot you’re certain to touch off the fuse to an explosive discussion about which oil is most correct, with everyone vehemently and vociferously supporting their position with any manner of facts and data, and each person being quite sure they are absolutely correct in their opinion. (Opinions are, of course, like a certain bodily exit... everyone has one.)

Asking which is the correct oil to use in a British car is yet another of that sort of question. Hence my popcorn comment.

Last edited:

puff4

Platinum Level Sponsor
Oh, and BTW, you should use engine oil in your carburettor dashpots.

(Ducking under table to avoid being struck...)

Barry

Diamond Level Sponsor
Kennon1,

Your question was not unreasonable. As a new member, you have no way of knowing that threads about "the best oil" have a long history of turning into highly opinionated and occasionally contentious online brawls that have required intervention from the SAOCA officers. Hence the comments about "popcorn", "rabbit hole" and "troll."

In response to your question, alpine_64 (aka, Michael) provided good advice. Engines with flat tappets typically do better with at least 300 PPM of ZDDP (Zinc Dialkyl Dithiophosphates, aka, "zinc") and about 1200 PPM is probably a good idea when breaking in a new cam and lifters. Modern oils rated for gasoline engines typically contain little if any ZDDP because of the negative effect on catalytic converters. Some oils rated for diesel engines and some "racing" engine oils have significant levels of ZDDP.

Another issue is viscosity. WSM-145 specifies single viscosity engine oil for anything except extremely cold (5° F. or less) outside temperature, but that is 50+ year old information / technology. IMO, modern multi-viscosity oils are a much better option for "street cars" that can experience a wide range of ambient conditions and operation. Which viscosity rating is "best" depends on the condition of your engine (first start on a new build, worn out and blowing smoke or something in between) and the ambient temperatures in your location. IMO, the "cold" and "hot" viscosity ratings should be selected to provide the desired oil pressure with your engine following a cold start and a hot run. I would go with the lowest "cold" viscosity rating that provides "reasonable" (dog fight coming) oil pressure after a cold start and a "hot" viscosity rating that provides at least 10 PSI / 1,000 RPM after a hard run on a hot day. Whether that is 0W-20, 5W-20, 10W-40, 20W-50 or some other rating is unimportant. What is important is how the oil performs in your engine in your ambient conditions and how you drive your Series Alpine.

Welcome to the forum.

Bill Blue

Platinum Level Sponsor
As a shortcut in the search for ZDDP candidates, look for oils rated for use in older Diesel engines. I'm sorry, but I cannot tell you what API rating that would be. Don't be put off by the Diesel designation. It is good oil and contains nothing that is harmful to a gasoline engine.

Bill

Kennon1

Donation Time
Thx to all,,
and yes I , eventually found the previous threads.
Times change , new products come out or old ones reborn, so looking at options.
If your feathers were ruffled, try yoga.
Happy trails and ty

Hillman

Gold Level Sponsor
I'd add that the best oil is clean (as in fairly new) oil, but I bet you knew that. But in the intensest of argument, I ran Shell Rotella (diesel) 15-40 in my SII 1725 with good results, YMMV.

Bill Blue

Platinum Level Sponsor
I'd add that the best oil is clean (as in fairly new) oil, but I bet you knew that. But in the intensest of argument, I ran Shell Rotella (diesel) 15-40 in my SII 1725 with good results, YMMV.
A lot of people have duplicated your experience. I used it in a 2.0 Pinto and liked it. Used it in the 2.3 Duratec, led to increased oil pressure. Turned out to be okay, just higher than I was accustomed to. A very safe first oil choice for a newby to the Alpine world. Will use it in my '69 Fastback 1725 with nary a worry.

Bill

Hodee

Donation Time
my .02 cents. I live in Texas. Its hot here. I run Valvoline VR-1 20-50 racing oil. Not because I race but rather because it has a very high level of Zinc. Please don't think this is what everyone should use. It just works for me. Peace out and enjoy the popcorn!

Shannon Boal

Platinum Level Sponsor
The Best? This one would be right up there in any categories mentioned. Alpines sling oil out the front of crankshaft, maybe the thin oils are not good here. Alpines sit sometimes, this oil has good corrosion protection, was recommended for antique cars. This one is a serious long drain oil. Rural King has it on the shelf, along with Rotella.... I have used it in Alpine for 25+ years, teardown inspections super clean, low wear. You want the Best? Al Amatuzio was that kind of guy, too. (He founded Amsoil, and the first Synthetic automotive oils) https://www.amsoil.com/p/sae-15w-40-heavy-duty-diesel-and-marine-oil-ame/