• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

What car is this does anyone knows?

Vino058

Donation Time
Hi Guys,
I am new here, i need to know what sunbeam model this is because it looks different than any other alpina from behind, it says its serie 3 alpina but tail lights are completely different, any suggestion will be appreciated,
Regards
Mario

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    31.2 KB · Views: 169

bulldurham

Platinum Level Sponsor
Unless it is a severely modified "Alpine", [side/front view would be nice] my guess is it is a Fiat, perhaps.??

alpine_64

Donation Time
It looks like fiat spider tail lights and rear deck.. but early SI/II alpine doors, hardtop and you would assume windscreen.

Where did you find the pictures? Its not likely to be a S3 Alpine given the hardtop and doors... though with the level of mods going on who knows what it is... where did you find the photos? have you got more pics?

bulldurham

Platinum Level Sponsor
It does look like an early series hardtop; it appears the screen is laying on top of another one[or not] and is too large for the opening. On the other hand you can see what appears to be the cubby box opening through the screen. As for the door, the step down at front does not appear to be long enough[ on the early series it is about 1 foot] but the door may not be open enough to see it all. If it is Alpine someone went to a lot of trouble for a fairly nondescript looking rear end. Would like to see side and front view.

anduril3019

Donation Time
Fuel filler looks like Series 3 location (or close to it)
Flat horizontal step in front of bumper looks like Alpine also.

DanR

Diamond Level Sponsor
Sure would like to see some additional PIC's.

But, regardless it seems to me as I've seen something similar to this from some prior Alpine documents covering "modified" works.

Jay Laifman

Donation Time
If it is Alpine someone went to a lot of trouble for a fairly nondescript looking rear end.

When I was 16 and first driving my SV, there was a guy down the street with a Fiat Spyder. I have to admit that I then specifically liked the rear end of his car better than the Alpine. This was because of the flat emptiness of the slab sides of the fins and the size of the boot behind the seats which seemed so un-sporty to me.

alpine_64

Donation Time
Fuel filler looks like Series 3 location (or close to it)
Flat horizontal step in front of bumper looks like Alpine also.

I think you need to view a few more alpines.... the rear of this car has no alpine in it.. and the fuel filler location on a S3 is roughly where the SIV/V ones are located but is a round style cap.. this thing has a cap further forward and on a horizontal surface... ignoring the issue the whole back of the car is not sunbeam.

If this is someones Photoshop playing.. its not a bad job.. hopefully the poster will either put up some more pictures.. or reveal their computer work

mikephillips

Donation Time
Blow the picture up a bit, the open door has a quarter window and what looks like the Alpine type pressing to the door interior. Plus a Sunbeam exterior door handle on the other side. But, who knows with today's photo processing software and without other photos from different angles or someone seeing it personally I reserve judgement.

DanR

Diamond Level Sponsor
In my earlier post I mentioned seeing a PIC of an Alpine that looked similar.

Just found a PIC of a '62 Le Mans Alpine that had restyling similar to the later TR6's. It is on page 127 of the "ALPINE The Classic Sunbeam" by Chris McGovern.

Given a closer look and there is little resemblances.

DanR

Last edited:

alpine_64

Donation Time
In my earlier post I mentioned seeing a PIC of an Alpine that looked similar.

Just found a PIC of a '62 Le Mans Alpine the had restyling similar to the later TR6's. It is on page 127 of the "ALPINE The Classic Sunbeam" by Chris McGovern.

Given a closer look and there is little resemblances.

DanR

Hey Dan the Kamm tale alpines that ran LM in '62 and 63 were basically a squared off section between the fins... as a side note they predate the TR6 by a fair way.. the new tail proved to add quite a few MPH to top speed.. if not anything to style!

65beam

Donation Time
knows

if you take a look at the sides of the rear fenders it seems they turn in towards the door. it also has a rear bumper that looks to be the three piece rear bumper from a fastback alpine complete with the proper over riders to match. it's been 45 years since I had a 124 so I don't remember what the bumper looked like on it. it may be a fiat 124 rear grafted to an alpine. a good body man can do anything. there are big fin cars out there with small fins on them now so who knows!