• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Well... I did it!

A

AlpineIan

It's official. I quit my corporate job today and will be starting my own sports cars restoration service. More details will be coming soon along with a web site. I'm thinking about calling it "Boots to Bonnets Restoration Service".

I already have projects lined up and can be reached at 937-667-8419. Naturally... Alpine will be my specialty, but I've also owned and restored other LBC's.

tfctpa

Donation Time
Congratulations!

I takes a lot of drive/nerve to give up something steady for the chance of a better life. Kudos! Only if Ohio were closer to Florida, besides I don't think anyone with Florida plates will be welcome in Ohio for at least a year.
Again, best wishes.

P.S. Love the company name.

Andrew

SAOCA Web/Graphics Service
Donation Time
Well....I did it!

It has been a tough Wednesday, so I would say it is good to hear something positive! Congratulations Ian, I hope to have you as my mechanic some time soon. If you could use a little help with graphics for your web site, company logo or what ever you can dream up, I would be happy to help!
Regards,
Andrew

skywords

Donation Time
Congrats Ian.

I did it back in 1992 and have never looked back. Run an honest quality biz and you will do great.

Best

Rick

weaselkeeper

Silver Level Sponsor
2 - 1/2 more years in the service for this country and after 35 yrs in uniform, I'll join you. Congratulations. P.

A

AlpineIan

Thanks guys. Feels good to walk away from my high paying job... I won't miss the long hours, endless phone calls, long plane flights, long hours... oops... said that one twice! Just ridding myself of all the stress it well worth it. It was killing me. Once the chest pains started setting in I knew I needed to change my lifestyle.

Happiness is a garage full of Sunbeams!:rolleyes:

napa 1

Donation Time
Ian,
I have been working for myself for 15 years now, and while it's not always easy, and there are lots of stresses involved...they're my very own stresses!It's a great feeling. Congratulations and Enjoy! Only wish you were a little closer to California...but maybe now you'll have time for a winery tour in the beautiful Napa Valley.

John.

P. Scofield

Bronze Level Sponsor
You know you have my support Ian. Everything you touch, corporate or collector, turns to gold! You will do great.

Paul

A

alpine in calgary

Congratulations Ian :D

From what I have seen of your work you will do quite well.....just remember to keep your passion for the cars :cool:

63alpine

Platinum Level Sponsor
First customer

Congrats, Ian. Maybe I can have the honored title of being your first customer? I'll PM you with details.

Jim E

Donation Time
Good for you! My company just sold and we figure the ax to swing shortly, to be honest would rather lead apes in hell than do this corp America thing. My hat is off to you!

My new motto "F'em, Ian did!"

Jeff Scoville

Donation Time
My new motto "F'em, Ian did!"

Jim, Jim, Jim, I almost weeed myself!
As I'm trying to make a go of the "Shop" thing without my 70 hours a week for somone else, I can only say "Yes, it feels great".
Fortunately I have been slowly creeping into this so I have built a nice client base as I go into it full time.
I hope things work out for you as well, I don't have any dought that there is an awareness of you and your knowledge/ ability, the only trick is finding the people with the money to go along with their wishes of your work on their vehicles!
Hey maybe we could start a "chain".......
Oops, corporate thinking took over......

Best Wishes Ian
I'll bring a bottle of bubbly to pour on your shop floor,
If nobody slips in it, luck will stick with you!
(That's why I only ever spill a drop and drink the rest!)

A

AlpineIan

Congrats, Ian. Maybe I can have the honored title of being your first customer? I'll PM you with details.

Project work is already starting to line up. Would love to have you as a customer. Please call me at 937-667-8419. I think Scott Christie has that honor though... as soon as I mentioned I was thinking about going into business he dropped his car off to me! Right now I have 2 service jobs, 1 assembly and 2 restorations in que (not to mention my own projects!)

I'm starting to put a web site together right now. www.bootstobonnets.com. I'm open to advice and suggestions. I'll keep adding to the web site over the next few weeks.

I've spent most of this last week getting my shop in order. I've finally after all these years sorted through all the Alpine parts I had stashed in the loft. I can't believe how much I thinned the pile down over the years, but at least what I have left is now organized. I also have 3 harrington LeMans, 1 SII, and 2 SV Alpines to break down. I want to get all this done before I start getting too busy with customer work, so I'm taking advantage of the time I have now to get everything in order.

Thanks for all the support guys! I'm goint to need it!

Chuck Ingram

Donation Time
Ian
I must add my congrats to your endeavour.I do know what is involved to strike out on your own.In 1975 I was tired of doing it the way I was told.I was a foreman and usually had 8 to 10 men on the job.I went out and decided to be my own boss.I had only a bid on one job which I won.I soon found out that the job became the boss and I was working a lot of hours.Mind you the money was fantastic.This lead me to work alone and to take only a few clients with whom I could work with.It took 5 years to convince them I was retiring.I say this so you will want to try and keep a reasonable work schedule.
Again congratulations and I know you will do well.

skywords

Donation Time
Hello Ian
I have been in the restoration business since 1992. I started with one stearman and it went from there. I worked it for 5 years alone. The hardest part is finding help you can trust. I have honed my business where I can stay home and work on Alpines pretty much when I want. I have burned myself out working on airplanes at least right now. The Brit cars are obviously your passion and don't let the the grind spoil that. Start getting some help early on and eventually you will find some very talented people that will make life so much better.

One day when I worked for a large museum we were restoring a P-38 and the Allison engines arrived from the overhauler. An oldtimer (Ernie)that I worked with was standing there with me looking at these gorgous V1710 12 cylinder engines. I said to Ernie "man I would love to have one these" and he said something to me I'll never forget "Ya I'd love to have one also, I'd put it outside my back door and I'd wizz on it every morning"

The Moral of that story is well you know:)