• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Welding Pot metal....?

DanR

Diamond Level Sponsor
Some time back I read or thought I read a POST where someone was capable of welding pot metal such as the trunk hinges, and various other components of the Sunbeam Alpines.

I thought also that I had "saved"the info" on the method (s) utilized by this gent but, I cannot locate it....:confused:

Anyone recall any information on "How to weld pot metal"? I did a search on the Forum but could not find what I was looking for...

Thanks for any help,

DanR

Warren

Bronze Level Sponsor
Soldering

Want to be upset? put too hot of a torch on a headlight ring they melt like lead with a MAPP gas torch. Maybe more like soldering on some pieces.

Bill Blue

Platinum Level Sponsor
Dan, don't recall anything on the board about the subject, but that means nothing. I do know the old timers did it. But they called it "burning pot metal". One of the best in this area broke up the thin pieces of chromed grills that were popular in the late thirties to use for rods. But that was back in the 40's and fifties. Maybe that means it can't be done today. Pot metal is mostly zinc, so I suppose you could use solder.

You might this site:
muggyweld.com/pot-metal-repair?gclid=CPOxmdz05ckCFZGMaQod2QwC9A

Bill

Bikesandfires

Donation Time
There is so many inconsistencies of the alloys that it's hard to say "yes it can be welded". In any case, it's more of a soldering or brazing process then welding. Pot-metal (diecast) is fairly easy to repair for replating, but for a part that needed to have ANY structural strength..?? Unless it was made out of unobtainium, I'd try to replace instead or repair.

The MuggyWeld rod work fairly well, the old timers used silver solder. For any repairs the parts need to be cleaned REALLY well and any chrome plating needs to be ground off. If you want to use a wire brush for cleaning, it needs to be stainless steel brush that hasn't been used for anything else.

DanR

Diamond Level Sponsor
How to fix or mend Pot Metal?

Thanks guys for the info!

I guess the reason I'm asking is that "some" of the Alpine parts are not replaceable.

I've seen several times in the last few years a need for "fixing" or replacement parts for SI window brackets.

I've been told that they are pot metal and there only a few available parts out there some where.... While I do not have a SI or II, I am concerned that some of the same parts that break and are not available, it would seem that someone could make an attempt to provide replacements.

A fellow member "Fordtootsie" is asking for a piece for his SI window support is the reason I made this post.

It will surely be expensive to make replacements and perhaps if some old pieces were available for a mold or die or a pattern the process could be started??

Merry Christmas to all,

DanR

Chuck Ingram

Donation Time
When I cut down the quarter windows to fit when I built my Lister I,did weld them. The welding supplier gave me a rod. Now I need to,weld a trim part of pot metal. Checked the supplier and they have nothing. Found a person who does weld pot metal. Will take it and se what he days in the new year.

Have Looked at Muggy's on line videos.
No,decisions so,far

DanR

Diamond Level Sponsor
Thanks for all the comments....

I know that I had info on a Gent that guarranted his pot metal welding! In the course of the past couple years I have lost a computer and most or all data.

Hope to get back i touch,

DanR

tony perrett

Gold Level Sponsor
Dan, When I restored the Alpine in the 80s, new boot hinges and filler caps were not available. I had the chrome stripped from the originals and filled the pitting with body filler and used them as patterns for new bronze castings: these were then chromed. Since then, many repro trim parts have become available but it is a method worth considering for replacements that can't be found.

PROCRAFT

Donation Time
Pot Metal

We've been welding pot metal for years, you can get a rod from Welco that is specific for pot metal, we TIG weld it by the way, good chrome shops around here weld it if its broken(or we should say have it done) normally if its pitted it'll get soldered and then finished.

Paul A

Alpine Registry Curator
Platinum Level Sponsor
We've been welding pot metal for years, you can get a rod from Welco that is specific for pot metal, we TIG weld it by the way, good chrome shops around here weld it if its broken(or we should say have it done) normally if its pitted it'll get soldered and then finished.

thanks for that info Joel. It's good to know! Pete

Fordtootsie

Donation Time
Procraft

Do you still weld pot metal?
If so can you repair my Ser I window supports or can you recommend someone that performs this type work.

John in Colorado

V6 JOSE

Donation Time
Hi John,

If you have a pot metal piece you need welded, conact Jim Moyer at jmoyer at inwi dot net

He is the finest welder in any material, that I have ever seen, and he´s a great guy too.

Dan

Thanks for the help - That's an interesting idea

John in Colorado

Alpine66

Donation Time
Interesting posts about welding rod available. Might try it out.
I know a lot of welding shops won't touch it.

sd_pace

Donation Time
I have used Alumalloy to repair some soft metals... it works like solder and is stronger than the original metal, but you would need to re-chrome anyway