• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

website

L

lovethecar

I haven't visited the SAOCA site in about 9 months. The Website is very sleek now, easy to read, use and lots of options. The site suits the car...classic.

Happy New Year

Bill Blue

Platinum Level Sponsor
I haven't visited the SAOCA site in about 9 months. The Website is very sleek now, easy to read, use and lots of options. The site suits the car...classic.

Happy New Year

I was afraid you were going to say the site suits the car...slow. Ian, anything on bringing the speed up?

Bill

jumpinjan

Bronze Level Sponsor
You guys just don't know the work that Ian has recently done on the this web site. It looks great doesn't it?.....Thanks Ian.

AlpineIan

SAOCA Founder
Nope, I got nothing on the speed. Bottom line is that it needs a lot of horsepower to run. I've noticed that I get very good response on the site with my fathers new Dell PC. I don't know off the top of my head what the processor and RAM is on it, but much quicker than my 1.7G Celeron with 512M RAM. I'm also using a cable modem. Site is useable all day for me... just about a 7 second delay in page changes.

I did download the Joomla CMS and tested it out at one of my other domains. It was just about the same as this site, so definately not worth a change over. Time to get off dial-up guys! :D

SIVAllan

Gold Level Sponsor
The site's speed issue appears server related.

Consider this computer setup, aging but a workhourse mobo, graphics card and graphics monitor:

OS – XP SP2
Chip Intel P4 1.8: cache: 8K & 512K
Memory 1.28 gig
Video – NVIDIA GeForce FX 5500 [Display adapter]
--graphics card onboard memory: 256 Meg SDRAM
--bandwith 6.4 Gig/sec
SMART drives
Mainboard: Intel 100 Mhz

Internet: Earthlink DSL

Quick access is not a problem except for here.

I have not used dialup in a long, long time.

vBulletin software runs fine elsewhere, making me believe the provider has a bandwith bottleneck.

Waiting 10 or even 5 seconds per screen refresh using a capable DSL setup is a sure sign of a host problem.

That said, I do enjoy the new format, and certainly do appreciate the work that has gone into it, also the work to keep it going. It 'aint' easy.

But the slowness issue is not an end user problem.

Allan

Bill Blue

Platinum Level Sponsor
Jan, while being computer stupid, I do know that computers chew up time like nobodies business and the site is looking VERY good these days. So someone is dedicating a lot of time and I figured it was Ian. Just is a shame the site is so slow.

Ian, I am on cable, running a dual Celeron processor, 512meg of ram. Using Ubuntu with Mozilla Firefox. Speed is usually about what you reported. Some days much slower. Most sites I visit change pages almost instantaneously. Do you think that more ram might be the answer?

Bill

gordonra

Donation Time
Ian, I am on cable, running a dual Celeron processor, 512meg of ram. Using Ubuntu with Mozilla Firefox. Speed is usually about what you reported. Some days much slower. Most sites I visit change pages almost instantaneously. Do you think that more ram might be the answer?

Bill

I too, very much appreciate the work that has gone into the new board by all involved!

To provide feedback from the west coast:

Premium Cable Connection
AMD Athlon 64 X2 6400+ Black Edition Processor (Fastest AMD chip)
4 Gig of 800 mhz DDR RAM
500 GB SATA Drive
NVidia 8600GTS 512 MB Video
100 mbit LAN
Vista Ultimate 64 bit

This machine is a screamer and the uncached pages typically take 7-10 seconds to load. Page loading does seem a bit on the slow side in this "instantanious" world, and certainly when compared to other sites.

Rich

gordonra

Donation Time
Further:

When I ping (82.165.136.141) www.sunbeamalpine.org, I get response in 86ms.
There are 461 domains hosted on this IP address.

Compared to several other sites, like IBM, Motoman, Fanuc, Nextengine, Ford, Pontiac, and Avery Label, the provider was bringing up the rear on ping response time. Of these mentioned, response time ranged from 10ms to 87ms. Usually this is likely due to server load and the number of hosts between the server and the main pipe.

A trace Route shows a reasonable 12 hops to get from me to the server. Unfortunately, I'm not well versed on the results of the trace route report, but it appears that most of the 86ms is at level3.net which appears to be a major east/west link. Based on all of this, I believe the slow down is at the web host server.

http://order.1and1.com/xml/order/AboutUs;jsessionid=67974BFDB6CB84AB5156AF4C61E3E802.TC61b?__frame=_top&__lf=Static

Tech ID:SPAG-35538000
Tech Name:Hostmaster ONEANDONE
Tech Organization:1&1 Internet Inc.
Tech Street1:701 Lee Rd.
Tech Street2:Suite 300
Tech Street3:
Tech City:Chesterbrook
Tech State/Province:pA
Tech Postal Code:19087
Tech Country:US
Tech Phone:+1.8774612631
Tech Phone Ext.:
Tech FAX:+1.6105601501
Tech FAX Ext.:
Tech Email:hostmaster@1and1.com
Name Server:NS51.1AND1.COM
Name Server:NS52.1AND1.COM

skywords

Donation Time
I have no issues with the speed. But I'm slow out of the gates anyway.

Nothing but thanks Ian I could not have kept my cars alive without this.

Rick

AlpineIan

SAOCA Founder
I just got off the phone with 1and1 today and thewy are looking into it. Of course, the first thing they did was try to open the site and he said "it came up instantly." I let him know that myself and 650 users all disagreed and are seeing about a 10 to 15 second delay.

He was going to "run some diagnostics" and told me to check the site again the 30 minutes to see if it was running faster.

gordonra

Donation Time
My ping time is about the same, but the page load time has dropped from 7 seconds to about 5 seconds.

Probably need to try to do it at the same time of day as last time to make the test as fair as possible.

Anyone else notice a change?

AlpineIan

SAOCA Founder
Uhhh... you didn't see my post in board problems...

Forget ping time... I'm still pinging between 40ms - 56ms. However, pages are now loading instantly! We are running at warp speed now! I now have 0 delay using the site.:)

gordonra

Donation Time
Yep, it is doing much better! Zippin right a long! I hadn't really had a chance to check it much before I posted that. Afterward, I saw all the other responses....

Good work!

am99ey

Gold Level Sponsor
Ian
Forum is loading amazingly fast, on a low resourced IBM Notebook T23 (1.2Ghz CPU, 512MB Ram, 2000KB/s ISP=average highspeed connection).
Thank you alot for your 'hidden' efforts.

.. from switzerland.
Andy

PS : Currently Active Users: 20 (8 members and 12 guests)

am99ey

Gold Level Sponsor
Ian
Btw, I like you reference to "Scope creep" on your "my car" page.
How truth, words of experienced..
Andy , PMP

Nickodell

Donation Time
That's the ticket!! Now it's a real pleasure working the forum, without the annoying sitting drumming the fingers waiting for something to happen. Thanks to everyone for working on it.