• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Weber carbs

KenDemp

Donation Time
Is the 32 36 Weber carb that SS sells the 32 36 DGV?

I am a little lost on the Weber nomenclature.

Thanks

Ken

Ken Ellis

Donation Time
With regard to nomenclature, DGV is manual, cable-operated choke... DGEV has an electric choke and DGAV has a water choke.
Don't know exactly what they sell, but they'll know for sure.
(I noticed several notices to beware of webercarbsdirect.)

http://www.triumphspitfire.com/weber.html has many links regarding Weber carb info and tuning.

KenDemp

Donation Time
Thanks. Actually, I was just poking around eBay, was just curious about compatibility.

Edit: thanks for the link

alpine_64

Donation Time
Ken the down draft DG series has many variations, 32/36, 34/36, 36/36 and the DGAV 38/38's .. the smaller ones were used on lots of brit 4cyl fords some members have used the 38/38 o performance built alpine motors.

One thing to watch for if going second hand is that on some the throttle linkage is on the left, some on the right..

65beam

Donation Time
weber

sunbeam specialties does sell the 32/36 DGV. i have them on several of my cars and they do the job. the MPG on the highway is good and when you need to kick it down the other side kicks in and you are off. michael mentioned a lot of variations but for normal use on a normal alpine engine the 32/36 is the way to go. i have never had a problem with the one SS sells since he has them jetted for a normal alpine engine. buying one on e bay leaves a lot of questions since you don't know what car they are intended for.

Eleven

Platinum Level Sponsor
SS Sells a decently made manifold for the 32/36 but it is not heated. Until the engine bay can warm the manifold it will seem like forever to warm the car up. I never appreciated the water jacket on a manifold until now. It is not bad just a tad annoying when you first get going.

65beam

Donation Time
weber

you should get the engine up to operating temp before driving . the oil needs to come up to operating temp in order to get proper lubrication.

RootesRacer

Donation Time
So one Weber 32/36 DVG is not the same as another? Interesting

Most every DGV form factor was created as an OEM carburetor for some application.

Many DGV carbs are a specialized casting for that specific application, and casting details may include OEM specific venturi diameter and progression details.

Today, the companies that sell aftermarket weber carburetors, share a single common configuration for the DGV so that the manufacturer (magneti marelli) doesnt have to manufacture dozens of specific carbs.
The current "all apps" 32/36 is the weber 22680.005 part.

Of the OEM carbs, they may have from 28 to 40mm throttles for both primary and secondaries. The most common application is the 32/36, using 24 and 27mm integral venturis.
The hot performance carb in this series is the 40DFAV and the 38DGAS.
The former being a DFV (mirror to the DGV) and the latter being a DGS, which uses incorporates a non progressive (sequential) geared primary to secondary link.

KenDemp

Donation Time
Of the OEM carbs, they may have from 28 to 40mm throttles for both primary and secondaries. The most common application is the 32/36, using 24 and 27mm integral venturis.
The hot performance carb in this series is the 40DFAV and the 38DGAS.
The former being a DFV (mirror to the DGV) and the latter being a DGS, which uses incorporates a non progressive (sequential) geared primary to secondary link.

And these would all be under the general category of the 32/36?

RootesRacer

Donation Time
And these would all be under the general category of the 32/36?

The general category would be "DGV" or "DFV" carbs.

The 32/36 relates more than anything to the size of the throttle plates.
Most of the OEM carbs, even the ones that has 28/32 ETC still used the same basic castings machined a little different.

Nickodell

Donation Time
However, Webers are not a guaranteed 100% trouble-free replacements for the OEM carb(s). Quite a few Alpiners have found after the conversion that there is a pronounced stumble (flat spot) when moving off from idle, which can usually be rectified by increasing the idle jet sizes. I had to go through four size-ups to finally cure this with my 32/36DGV.

It resembles the symptom you get with a malfunctioning accelerator pump, but that's not the problem. And it can be more than just annoying; sitting waiting for a gap in fast traffic so as to merge onto a freeway is not the time to have the engine bog down.:eek: