• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Weber carb

Paul Domoney

Silver Level Sponsor
It seems that most owners change their Solex carb for a Weber and my series 111 came with a Weber carb. However there is barely enough room for an air filter on top of the carb as it sits very high and I suspect that it is the wrong Weber or a very old version. The number is 28/36 DCD23. Can anyone give me the correct carb details.

RootesRich

Donation Time
Hi Paul,
There isn't a "correct" Weber and the DCD is a fine replacement to the stock Solex. In fact, the DCD was a suggested replacement in Chris McGovern's Classic Alpine book.

K&N style air filters come in different heights, so if you're having a clearance issue, you may want to see if there's another filter available that will fit your needs.

Bottom line is if your DCD is performing nicely and the air filter clearance issue can be resolved, I wouldn't be so quick to jump to a DGV.

Paul Domoney

Silver Level Sponsor
Hi Rich. Thanks for that. I suppose the thick spacer (insulating washer) between manifold and carb is essential and should not be removed?

RootesRich

Donation Time
Hi Rich. Thanks for that. I suppose the thick spacer (insulating washer) between manifold and carb is essential and should not be removed?

Not essential and can be removed to pick up approx 3/16". With the spacer removed and the carb mounted, just manually open the throttle to make sure you don't have an issue with butterfly clearance against the manifold mounting flange. It shouldn't be an issue with the DCD, but it's better to verify before the engine is fired up. If there is an impasse, the manifold will need to be modified slightly and that procedure is documented throughout the Forum.