• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

WD-40 Rust Remover Soak

George Coleman

Gold Level Sponsor
PB Blaster works great for me, I also heard that 50/50 mix of IPA/ marvil mystery oil or autotrans fluid works just as well.:cool:

RootesRich

Donation Time
For pure rust removal of small parts I've found Naval Jelly to be the best. Use gloves as it's nasty on the flesh (I learned that lesson as a teenager).

For loosening stubborn/ rusted nuts and bolts Kroil is the best. It has an amazing creeping agent that WD, PB, Liquid Wrench, etc don't have.

MikeH

Diamond Level Sponsor
PB Blaster works great for me, I also heard that 50/50 mix of IPA/ marvil mystery oil or autotrans fluid works just as well.:cool:

Are you referring to India Pale Ale?

For loosening rusted bolts this has been posted in the past.

Machinist’s Workshop Mag™ recently published some information on various penetrating oils that I found very interesting. Some of you might appreciate this. The magazine reports they tested penetrates for break out torque on rusted nuts.

They are below, as forwarded by an ex-student and professional machinist. They arranged a subjective test of all the popular penetrates with the control being the torque required to remove the nut from a “scientifically rusted” environment.

*Penetrating oil .......... Average load*
None ........................... 516 pounds
WD-40 ..................... ... 238 pounds
PB Blaster .................... 214 pounds
Liquid Wrench ............... 127 pounds
Kano Kroil .................... 106 pounds
ATF*-Acetone mix...............53 pounds

The ATF-Acetone mix was a “home brew” mix of 50 - 50 automatic transmission fluid and acetone. Note the “home brew” was better than any commercial product in this one particular test.

Our local machinist group mixed up a batch and we all now use it with equally good results.

Note also that “Liquid Wrench” is almost as good as “Kroil” for about 20% of the price.

Steve from Godwin-Singer says that ATF-Acetone mix is the best and you can also use ATF- lacquer thinner 50 - 50 mix.

Bill Blue

Platinum Level Sponsor
Jim, I see nothing in the writup that leads me to think the product is anything other than a phosphoric acid solution. The second paragraph of the writup is drivel that is unrelated to the product and is offered to make it appear the product has capabilities that it does not possess.

Bill

Chuck Ingram

Donation Time
I think I will make up a batch of lacquer thinner and ATF. I buy lacquer thinner 10 gallons at a time so I have lots. I should have done this before as I am working on my son's 53 meteor and believe me there is rusty bolts.I also use ATC for loosening up brake cables etc.Hang them up and add ATC a bit at a time.Works great if one is not in a hurry.They stay lubricated for ages after that
Why 10 gallons at a time.When I spray and then after I completely clean the guns by dissassembling them and soak them for a few hours.I also go through a lot of lacquer base primers

bmohr

Gold Level Sponsor
Between this and the aluminum foil / coke discussion, I'm going to start a file called homebrew to keep these tips since I will no doubt forget them when it comes time to use them. Of course calling it homebrew could get me in trouble with another kind of ATF -- Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, and Firearms! :) Happy Friday all!

Alpine 1789

SAOCA President
Diamond Level Sponsor
Jim, I see nothing in the writup that leads me to think the product is anything other than a phosphoric acid solution.

Bill

That is pretty much what I was wondering. I have a set of S3 springs I want to install in my rebuilt front end, but they looked like crap against everything else which was either new or nicely repainted. I soaked them in phosphoric acid but thought I might try something else before painting them, just to be safe.

This stuff has worked amazingly. Non-toxic and re-usable.

http://www.evapo-rust.com

I have wondered about this stuff before. It is nice to have a first hand recommendation. I will give it a try. Thanks.