• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Water Outlet Construction

Bill Blue

Platinum Level Sponsor
Looking for some input on making up a water outlet for my Duratec installation. The outlet is located on the rear of the head. This means the outlet has to be an el. I want to mount the engine as close to the firewall as possible so it should be flattened. The water outlet opening is rectangular shaped with 4 holes to mount the outlet.

Any suggestions as to shape, construction materials or anything else is being sought. I have had thoughts of making one of fiberglass, using wax as a core. I did this technique several years for a gas tank filler and the carb bonnet for the turbo, it works pretty good. Would the fiber glass be suitable as a material? Would it be a bad idea to fashion something out of steel? What about size? Should it be the same as the water pump outlet or larger?

Bill

Ooops! I doubt that it makes a difference, but I believe this is the water inlet. With an aluminum engine, should I steer clear of certain metals? I'm pretty sure zinc is out, would steel be okay? I'm pretty good with solder, thinking about something made of sheet metal.

mikephillips

Donation Time
I'm not really familiar with the Duratec engine itself but I have a prewar MG engine at home that also has an outlet on the rear of the head. They used a retangular plate to cover the hole with an L shaped outlet case into it that wrapped around the back to one side. It also angled down to run the return line under the exhaust manifold. It hooked to a metal pipe for this that attached with a short section of hose at each end.

I personally would stay away from fiberglass for it, being attached directly to the head the direct heat transfer might be too much for a long life. Plus the possibility of cracking from the vibration.