• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Warning Lights

Silver Creek Sunbeam

Gold Level Sponsor
Does anyone have for sale or know if someone who repros the Lucas rectangular warning lights?

I don’t actually need the bulb holders, just the covers, but would take the whole assembly.
I can find plenty of the octagonal (jewel) and round but not the rectangular that I need for my Series V.
I’d consider any colors and I need a minimum of one but a total of three would be best.

Thanks

puff4

Platinum Level Sponsor
I am looking for the opal colored o/d lite for a Series V

Ugh. Again....

No slight to you, Gordon but I don’t think the Series V ever came with an overdrive light, but this is something that eternally seems to be in question, and I’d dearly love to get it resolved.

My car is pretty much bone stock. I bought it from the original owner, and it came with OD (and it’s on the chassis plate and the OEM purchase docs, too), and it does not have a light or a hole for one, and the Owner’s Handbook doesn’t show one in the dashboard diagrams.

Please, someone show me SOMETHING that says they did?

65beam

Donation Time
Ugh. Again....

No slight to you, Gordon but I don’t think the Series V ever came with an overdrive light, but this is something that eternally seems to be in question, and I’d dearly love to get it resolved.

My car is pretty much bone stock. I bought it from the original owner, and it came with OD (and it’s on the chassis plate and the OEM purchase docs, too), and it does not have a light or a hole for one, and the Owner’s Handbook doesn’t show one in the dashboard diagrams.

Please, someone show me SOMETHING that says they did?
Just check the parts book.

puff4

Platinum Level Sponsor
As noted by Hartman in another thread, the workshop manual took the intentional step of eliminating the lamp from the wiring diagram for the Series V.

Series V:
index.php

————————————-

Earlier Series:
0-AB47-CC3-A378-4-E9-B-A260-03-EC9-AF26-FB1.png

Tom H

Platinum Level Sponsor
Kevin, indeed the OD lamp was not included on a stock SV. But it still makes sense to want one and to install one. My assumption is that it was deleted as a cost saving move after Chrysler bought Rootes. It's quite easy to install one and wire it in. I assume it would be hard to find an original opal lens, but easy to use any of the other colored ones and not hard to find a faded one and you could easily color it.

Tom

Gordon Holsinger

Diamond Level Sponsor
I have a spare but it’s the octagonal. I replaced it with a rectangular one to match the rest of my lights. The body that is inserted is round, like any other. It’s the lens that’s octagonal. If you’re interested, let me know.
Yes I am interested A lense that is a little different is a plus if my wife ever drives it.

Alpine 1789

SAOCA President
Diamond Level Sponsor
There are grey lenses that pop up on eBay from time to time. I have one of those on my SV and it is perfect for my needs. Maybe not the mythical opal, but it is different from the other lights, which is just fine by me.

Tom H

Platinum Level Sponsor
By the way, if you are adding an OD warning lamp to a car that did not have one previously I suggest you wire it to terminal C1 of the relay rather than the Yellow/ Green wire at the column switch as the earlier Alpines wired it and as shown on the drawing Kevin showed above. By connecting the lamp to terminal C1, the lamp will light whenever there is 12 V on the wire going to the solenoid. As originally wired the lamp will indicate whenever power is applied to the relay, even if the contact is bad and no power is going to the solenoid. The alternate wiring I suggest will be helpful for troubleshooting if/when your OD is not working.

Tom

volvoguys

Diamond Level Sponsor
There are grey lenses that pop up on eBay from time to time. I have one of those on my SV and it is perfect for my needs. Maybe not the mythical opal, but it is different from the other lights, which is just fine by me.
The elusive opal-colored round indicator lamp was specific to Series 3 with overdrive. The rectangular OD flipper lamp used in the SIV was not opal but grey.