• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Wanted

Limey

Donation Time
Hi all,

I am seeking three hard to get items

1) Harrington wooden steering wheel, any condition (as long as re buildable)

2) Microcell seat/s (round top) one will do, any condition however rotten, or a frame, anything that cold be a pattern

3) Early series tool roll (Burlap) any condition even in rags

I have cash waiting and rare and NOS parts for part exchange or cash either way if you are interested. ie NOS Rootes boxed Reverse lamps and bases, bonnet flash rechromed to perfection, NOS Rootes boxed lockable petrol cap, 3 eared petrol caps, NOS Rootes boxed cigar lighter, SII radio (complete) Accessory cushions, NOS Rootes toneau with fixings and instructions, NOS Guages etc etc etc

Yours ever

Oliver

alpine_64

Donation Time
Oliver,

I posted a link maybe a year ago to a company in the Uk that held stock of les leston and other rare wheels, they could aslo make them to pattern.. try the search funtion and on the weekend i will see if i can access my old HDD and get the details.

bernd_st

Bronze Level Sponsor
Limey,

No. 1) is what almost every Harrington owner is looking for. Beware there are many Les Leston wheels which look similar but won´'t resemble the original style. I have a Les Leston wheel in spare which I got with my project which was looking like the original but the hub circle is narrower and it´s mounted with only 5 screws (perhaps for a Lotus or something). The wood is detached- a problem which almost all are suffering from since it was not fixed with any screws nor rivets just glued to the metal carrier. If you can´t find an HLM one this might be an alternative option. Let me know...

For the others items I can't help...

Last edited:

Eleven

Platinum Level Sponsor
Was the original steering wheel a Motolita, as many of the cars in that era were? If so, I'll bet they still have the pattern. (That tonneu wouldn't fit a Series V would it?)

alpine_64

Donation Time
Was the original steering wheel a Motolita, as many of the cars in that era were? If so, I'll bet they still have the pattern. (That tonneu wouldn't fit a Series V would it?)

Original wheels were a rootes specific product, they were a wooden rim on the stock alpine/rapier hub/wheel setup.

65beam

Donation Time
the steering wheels on two of my lemans were carlotti wheels but i don't use them due to the large diameter of the wheel. i installed a smaller moto lita wheel on the red car. the harrington that the wife recently bought from bill atalla also has a carlotti but no wood. the aluminum seems to be in good shape. some harringtons may have had les leston wheels. don't really know. i bought a les leston wheel with hub on e bay that has identical slotted spokes to the carlotti wheels. it's a 15 inch diameter wheel. it will go on the third car since TT is installing similar wood on the dash. does anybody know who made the wood wheels used on GT's and tigers?

alpine_64

Donation Time
. does anybody know who made the wood wheels used on GT's and tigers?

I think thats what i was trying to answer beloow.. i hadn't re-read the thread that it was the Harrington wheel we were talking about..... I'd go with what i have said just bellow.. the wheels were probably inhouse rootes for all ST and rapier models.. maybe they supplied cores to external people for the wood rim?