• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Want to Change SV Wheels

jfcroni

Donation Time
Currently I have the original 13" wheels on my SV and I'd like to explore 15" wheels. Is there a bolt-on set available that does not require lug replacements or backspacing?

George Coleman

Gold Level Sponsor
Early Mustang fox body cars had the right bolt pattern, you would have to use a 205 or 215 tire and there is still a possibility that the front apron of the car. may need light mods.

Bill Blue

Platinum Level Sponsor
Early Mustang fox body cars had the right bolt pattern, you would have to use a 205 or 215 tire and there is still a possibility that the front apron of the car. may need light mods.
Why such a wide tire? How wide are these wheels? I have 175-15 tires that fit on 6" wheels.

There are 4 on 4 1/4" Saab wheels that work. Be careful, Saab also made 4 on 4 1/2 wheels. The most likely candidates would be the 5.5 and 6 widths. The only problem being the hub opening is about 1/16" too small. But that is a fileable amount.

The problem with up sizing tires on an Alpine is that you never know what will fit and the mods (usually fender lips) needed to gain clearance. I am convinced a lot of this is due to the hand assembled nature of Alpines, which, when mixed in with everything that has been done to a 50 year old car, means you are ass deep in a crap shoot.

Bill

DanR

Diamond Level Sponsor
I have 195 55 15's on my Sunbeam Alpine w/V6

They allow plenty of traction.

4 bolt 4 & 1/4 same as George &Bill described above.

Search here for PICS

Andrew

SAOCA Web/Graphics Service
Donation Time
upload_2019-3-11_12-14-20.png
I hope this picture is clear enough but these are off of a Mustang II. I made a custom set of centre caps with the Sunbeam Logo. They really change the look of the car and may not be in the liking of others??? Bolt pattern is the same.

Last edited:

sunalp

Diamond Level Sponsor
I used Rota 15" x 51/2". They are usually on Ebay and they fit right on with no modifications. They're not all that expensive either
I think it was something like $500 shipped to me. Not too bad for brand new wheels.

I used Toyo performance tires on it. With these tires, the difference height wise compared to the 13" wasn't anything to talk about.

Here's a shot that I took last year when the car wasn't finished yet. ( they never are done, are they?)
Cheers!
Steve

Attachments

• IMG_0418.JPG
    IMG_0418.JPG
    395.9 KB · Views: 41

jfcroni

Donation Time
Thanks All - If I go with the 15: Rota, is it necessary to try and keep the same overall diameter? I thought the Alpine could take a little more diameter in the wheel well. I'm OK with re-calibration on the speedo.

DanR

Diamond Level Sponsor
P195 55 15's are close and will fit well.

There is a Wheel/tire/gear program you can use to figure what you will have on the Forum here some where.....If I can find mine I'll sent it.

Barry

Diamond Level Sponsor
Thanks All - If I go with the 15: Rota, is it necessary to try and keep the same overall diameter? I thought the Alpine could take a little more diameter in the wheel well. I'm OK with re-calibration on the speedo.

Stock tire diameter is slightly under 23"; I think 24" looks much better and 25" looks too big. YMMV.

sunalp

Diamond Level Sponsor
I believe my Toyos are 185/55 and are a little wider than the 175/70 13" that were on the car previously.
The sidewall is a bit shorter, so it fits the wheel wells nicely.
Steve

Toyanvil

Gold Level Sponsor
I am running Yokohama S-drive 185/55-15 on 15x6 25mm off-set rims in front and 205/50-15 on 15x7 20mm off-set in the rear. With this combo the sidewall size is the same front and rear. My rear wheel wells are rolled and my rear axle is 51.75" flange to flange, my is a Mazda RX7 rear axle.
IMG_3697-L.jpg

IMG_3715-L.jpg

jfcroni

Donation Time
I am running Yokohama S-drive 185/55-15 on 15x6 25mm off-set rims in front and 205/50-15 on 15x7 20mm off-set in the rear. With this combo the sidewall size is the same front and rear. My rear wheel wells are rolled and my rear axle is 51.75" flange to flange, my is a Mazda RX7 rear axle. Looks Great!
IMG_3697-L.jpg

IMG_3715-L.jpg
Looks Great!