• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Walnut Dash Mystery Hole

alpiner

Diamond Level Sponsor
I just installed a SS walnut dashboard in my SV and am puzzled by the 1/2" hole in the dash just above and to the right of the volt/amp gauge on the left side of the steering wheel. All of the gauges, switches, lights, etc have been installed in their correct locations. Does anyone know what this hole is for? This hole was not in the original black plastic dash that I replaced.

Mark B

Donation Time
I suspect it is the OD operating light. For cars equipped with OD, there is a white/opal colored light in that position.

Thanks,

MB

puff4

Platinum Level Sponsor
OK, so what’s the definitive answer? Did the Series V have an overdrive light or not?

My SV is basically all original. I bought it from the original owner, and it has factory OD (it’s on the invoice and on the chassis plate, too). The car does NOT have a light, nor is there a hole for one.

Further, the Owner’s Handbook doesn’t list one. (Apologies for the crap screen grab - my original handbook is filed away.)

65-CBE6-F5-6-A79-4422-9-CE2-FA3-B635-BB3-E9.png

RootesRooter

Donation Time
I believe the SV w/OD has a lockout switch on the toploader, across from the backup light switch, designed to disengage the OD if the driver tries to shift into reverse. Thus no need for a warning light. Tho leaving it there just as an indicator light wouldn't have been a bad idea. Rootes probably saved a couple of bucks by eliminating the light.

65beam

Donation Time
My series 4 was a non over drive car and there was an area for the OD light but was not opened up and was covered by the original vinyl. There was an indented circle to indicate where the opening should be. I've never noticed this on a series 5 dash. Has anyone else noticed this? I have a plastic dash that is for a right hand drive car and it has the opening. It's not a vinyl covered dash. It has a wood grain finish but doesn't appear to be formica or wood veneer. I've always assumed it was for a series 4 GT since it had the OD light opening. Has anyone else seen one of these dashes?

alpine_64

Donation Time
I believe the SV w/OD has a lockout switch on the toploader, across from the backup light switch, designed to disengage the OD if the driver tries to shift into reverse. Thus no need for a warning light. Tho leaving it there just as an indicator light wouldn't have been a bad idea. Rootes probably saved a couple of bucks by eliminating the light.

The self cancel when you went accross the gate to 1/2 was introduced in series 3 cars... For thevall suncro box introduced in late SIV the reverse is next to 4th.. There is a spring to stop it easily going in across into reverse.. But you are suggesting there was a cancelling switch to recerse too?

puff4

Platinum Level Sponsor
I believe on the SV there’s a switch in the top cover that is “on” only when the shift lever is positioned in the 3-4 gate. When you move out of that gate to 1-2 or reverse it is “off” and overdrive will disengage.

Last edited:

alpine_64

Donation Time
I believe on the SV there’s a switch in the top cover that is “on” only when the shift lever is positioned in the 3-4 gate. When you move out if that gate to 1-2 or reverse it is “off” and overdrive will disengage.
Kevin that was on all the all-sync OD trans.. So series IV as well. I believehe series 3 had it as well.. Was the " self cancelling" feature

hartmandm

Diamond Level Sponsor
They took the time and effort to remove the OD light from the diagram between WSM 124 and WSM 145. It looks like they did a minor edit on the series 4 diagram to create the series 5 version.

WSM 124
upload_2020-5-18_22-35-2.png

WSM 145
upload_2020-5-18_22-35-30.png

Mike

Tom H

Platinum Level Sponsor
I am surprised to read that other marques did not use a relay. There is a heavy initial Pull -In current to the OD solenoid. I would not like to have that heavy a current pass through and get switched by a column switch. And in the later Alpines, with the self cancelling operation, I don't see how they could accomplish that without a relay.

And this listing in Moss , click on the "where used" tab, shows nearly every LBC of that era used a relay for the OD:
https://mossmotors.com/relay-overdrive-push-on-terminal

And by the way, I think the OD warning light is handy to have when you are trying to figure out why the OD is not working. And the lamp is even more useful if you connect it to Terminal C1 instead of where it is shown on the dwg Mike posted. As drawn and as originally connected, the lamp only shows that the relay is closed, but it does not tell you that the second contact is made, and that power to the solenoid is switched ON. Failure of that second contact is pretty common, and the light lights, but the OD does not engage and you might think the problem is mechanical when it's really just a bad relay.

Tom

RootesRooter

Donation Time
The self cancel when you went accross the gate to 1/2 was introduced in series 3 cars... For thevall suncro box introduced in late SIV the reverse is next to 4th.. There is a spring to stop it easily going in across into reverse.. But you are suggesting there was a cancelling switch to recerse too?

Engaging just once in reverse with OD operating is supposed to be instantly fatal to the OD.

Tim R

Silver Level Sponsor
We have Overdrive Warning lights in both our Series Vs. It isn't standard but it is a useful addition. At a glance you know if you are in OD or not.

Tim R

puff4

Platinum Level Sponsor
Engaging just once in reverse with OD operating is supposed to be instantly fatal to the OD.

It isn't necessarily instantly fatal, but it definitely CAN cause some serious damage - it really depends on how much torque gets applied when it's in reverse. The one-way clutches can be irreparably harmed by any major level of torque applied in reverse. I had one lock in the 'engaged' position on a Spitfire I had back in college and like an idiot I drove like that for over a month - first, reverse, every gear. It did manage to survive, but I wasn't beating it. In retrospect, I should have immediately repaired the issue but I was a stupid kid back then. Now I'm a stupid adult, but at least I know better.