• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Walnut dash in series 2

londoner

Gold Level Sponsor
I am looking replace my plastic dash with a walnut one. I know the series 2 never came with one. Does anyone on here know how difficult it is to fit the later type to a series 2?
The guy at Alpine innovations can supply with heater brackets but said the dash would need modifying to fit my car. Thanks. John

nsbluenose

Silver Level Sponsor
Is it possible for you to put a walnut veneer on your plastic dash. Properly finished these can look outstanding. Many wooden dashboards in new cars or old use a veneer.

alpine_64

Donation Time
The later dash should fit the early car, the screw locations are the same and column shouldn't be an issue.
you will have additional holes for warning lights that in a II are in the gauges so either add lamps for other things or blank them

johnd

Donation Time
I have a walnut dash in my SII. If I remember correctly there is a difference in the heater/fan control fascia plate. Luckily, I was able to buy a new replica from a SAOCA member - don't remember who.

JackSun

Diamond Level Sponsor
Londoner , Are you in the UK ? Are you doing a 1/2 dash … ( not covering glove box ) ? if so , I have a Walnut 1/2 dash ,
Blank planed to dash thickness , Un drilled , neater control not cut or mortised on reverse ….. I just planed several dash
blanks & had one terrific piece that unfortunately had a knot where glove box would be , so I cut blank for a 1/2 dash .
No access to a S II dash for template …was going to drill for later Series . I’m using Dan’s brackets for the S V dash .
Let me know if interested .

Gordon Holsinger

Diamond Level Sponsor
I am looking replace my plastic dash with a walnut one. I know the series 2 never came with one. Does anyone on here know how difficult it is to fit the later type to a series 2?
The guy at Alpine innovations can supply with heater brackets but said the dash would need modifying to fit my car. Thanks. John
As far as I know putting a wooden dash from an earlier car is pretty easy

londoner

Gold Level Sponsor
Londoner , Are you in the UK ? Are you doing a 1/2 dash … ( not covering glove box ) ? if so , I have a Walnut 1/2 dash ,
Blank planed to dash thickness , Un drilled , neater control not cut or mortised on reverse ….. I just planed several dash
blanks & had one terrific piece that unfortunately had a knot where glove box would be , so I cut blank for a 1/2 dash .
No access to a S II dash for template …was going to drill for later Series . I’m using Dan’s brackets for the S V dash .
Let me know if interested .
Jackson. I live in NH in the States but I am from the UK and go home a couple of times a year. I will be there this week. I was hoping to install a full length dash with glove box. So unfortunately your one will not work. Thanks though!

JackSun

Diamond Level Sponsor
Londoner , I planed 2 extra full length walnut dash blanks that are Not drilled , they are sawn to the perimeter outline
& steering column recess … the Walnut log wasn’t sawn for three years , sawn & then kiln dried ….. others might well
disagree , but , I have not had good experiences w/ veneer over plywood in previous Jags & Austin Healey’s … I’m planning
to use the TR 6 or Healey type glove box hardware knowing from past cars ……it works ! Good luck !

londoner

Gold Level Sponsor
Londoner , I planed 2 extra full length walnut dash blanks that are Not drilled , they are sawn to the perimeter outline
& steering column recess … the Walnut log wasn’t sawn for three years , sawn & then kiln dried ….. others might well
disagree , but , I have not had good experiences w/ veneer over plywood in previous Jags & Austin Healey’s … I’m planning
to use the TR 6 or Healey type glove box hardware knowing from past cars ……it works ! Good luck !

Attachments

• 20220828_090432.jpg
    20220828_090432.jpg
    452.4 KB · Views: 36

JackSun

Diamond Level Sponsor
Londoner , Here’s where I am …. I was able to buy a OEM plywood / veneer dash from a GT car to make outer & inner
metal templates …I have the outer made as shown , will make a paper template of the inner from the GT dash to transfer to another metal template , mount both metals to exterior plywood duplicates & drill the walnut blanks & router the inner side .
I assume , but don’t know if the hole diameters on a S II are the same ? I know a metal plate must be fitted on the ignition
on the inner side to restrict the ignition turning & I don’t know if the routed area to mount Dan’s brackets are the same ?
Somewhat a learning curve ,but I have the GT dash & 2 plastic dashes for patterns .

Attachments

• A8B2E00E-8849-4C0B-85FE-0AA24575988C.jpeg
    A8B2E00E-8849-4C0B-85FE-0AA24575988C.jpeg
    483.9 KB · Views: 39
  • 4C392DE3-B261-4779-BBC6-5F817FC100D4.jpeg
    4C392DE3-B261-4779-BBC6-5F817FC100D4.jpeg
    511.9 KB · Views: 37
  • 02B5D08D-7401-42DA-96A5-72BE34F823B0.jpeg
    02B5D08D-7401-42DA-96A5-72BE34F823B0.jpeg
    519.6 KB · Views: 38
  • 8BFDBBA5-04C6-4FF1-8A84-BC8C46DA9A68.jpeg
    8BFDBBA5-04C6-4FF1-8A84-BC8C46DA9A68.jpeg
    540 KB · Views: 38

bobbo

Gold Level Sponsor
Doing your own dash is a great winter or off season project. I used an old dash for a template years ago and finally got to almost finishing it this year.
will install this winter. Dan's brackets are a great investment. Incorporating a glove box door in mine. Take the leap, you won't regret it.

Attachments

• IMG_2621.JPG
    IMG_2621.JPG
    508.5 KB · Views: 42
  • IMG_2624.JPG
    IMG_2624.JPG
    469.2 KB · Views: 42
  • IMG_2622.JPG
    IMG_2622.JPG
    439.9 KB · Views: 42

londoner

Gold Level Sponsor
Doing your own dash is a great winter or off season project. I used an old dash for a template years ago and finally got to almost finishing it this year.
will install this winter. Dan's brackets are a great investment. Incorporating a glove box door in mine. Take the leap, you won't regret it.

Bobbo. Nice job on that dash! What did you use for a finish?
I am a woodworker by trade so the making isn't a problem. Did you do a veneer? Or solid?

londoner

Gold Level Sponsor
Londoner , Here’s where I am …. I was able to buy a OEM plywood / veneer dash from a GT car to make outer & inner
metal templates …I have the outer made as shown , will make a paper template of the inner from the GT dash to transfer to another metal template , mount both metals to exterior plywood duplicates & drill the walnut blanks & router the inner side .
I assume , but don’t know if the hole diameters on a S II are the same ? I know a metal plate must be fitted on the ignition
on the inner side to restrict the ignition turning & I don’t know if the routed area to mount Dan’s brackets are the same ?
Somewhat a learning curve ,but I have the GT dash & 2 plastic dashes for patterns .
Jacksun. Those look great! Nice piece of walnut. What are you going to use for a finish?

bobbo

Gold Level Sponsor
Solid walnut. and 8 or 9 coats of "Helmsman Verathane". Had to wet down a the cold cellar and seal off for the final coats t o eliminate dust.
Putting in some of the re-finished gages really makes it pop.

JackSun

Diamond Level Sponsor
After getting these metal templates finished , ugh ! I’ll seal the inner side & all the edges ….I planed several pieces of
the “ fall off “ so I’ll have several finish test pieces for judging finishes ….I will try : Arm - R - Seal ( oil / urethane blend )
Tried / True ( oil / beeswax blend used on musical instruments ) , Like Bobbo , will use Helmsman Varathane , &
Waterlox ( a high gloss Tung oil finish ) ….still contemplating about trying one of the 2 part epoxy bar top finishes .
IMO , having a stable substrate w/ the solid wood vs plywood / veneer provides far more stability …having just retired
after selling my antique business after 40 years …I’ve spent many more hours than I wanted to , repairing veneer .

londoner

Gold Level Sponsor
Thats funny. I hear you. I've been a Carpenter joiner for 35 years starting in London. Getting ready to stop sucking sawdust but I do enjoy it! Thanks for the info!

DanR

Diamond Level Sponsor
DanR. Thanks. I like to buy those brackets from you. Can you let me know how I can pay etc. Thanks John

E-mail me your contact information and where you want the Tabs sent.

Made checks/money orders payable to:
Dan Richardson
123 Richardson Dr
Greenwood, South Carolina 29649

$35 total should cover shipping also.