• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Vin Tag Repro

ForzaDesign

Donation Time
I remember seeing reproduction aluminum SV vin tags somewhere. Perhaps UK? Can anyone jog my memory here. I found a nice car without a VIN. Would really be a shame to cut up a body this nice.

Thanks,
Jim

Stevew

Donation Time
I'll think you will find them on the UK SAOC web site under the Club Spares section. I know there is a no spares to the USA rule inplace (Because of insurance liability concerns) but as this is a non critical item you might be able to get this from the SAOC.

ForzaDesign

Donation Time
Thanks Steve,
I checked the site but could not locate the club spares section. Can you post a link?

Thanks,
Jim

Alpine 1789

SAOCA President
Diamond Level Sponsor
If you are thinking of ordering one of the UK tags, you need to know two things:
  1. They are not duplicates of the original. They are the same size and have the proper lines for the same information, but look different.
  2. They won't sell them to anyone in the States. Apparently, their lawyers have convinced them that all Americans are just looking for someone to sue.
A better alternative might be to make your own from a piece of aluminum and buy the 'correct' press-on letters from Paul Breuhan, aka 66Tiger. Paul periodically sells these on eBay, but would probably sell you a set if you contact him from the board. Here's a link to his last auction: http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/e...0413242123&viewitem=&sspagename=STRK:MEWAX:IT

ForzaDesign

Donation Time
Jim,
Thanks for input. depending on how he UK is fabricated (screened) this would be a nice alternative. And of course nobody would realize except me.

Thanks,
Jim

sammaw@bellsout

Silver Level Sponsor
I would advertise to buy a tag and a title, if available, from a parts car, here on the forum. I imagine there would be several available this way.

Andrew

SAOCA Web/Graphics Service
Donation Time
My S2, S3 and S5 Alpine along with a S3 Rapier had all original tags and the numbers had been punched from the back side of the tag (raised numbers). I have talked about this before and found that cars in the UK and Canada may have been this way and I am not sure about the US cars. I am not sure why some cars have numbers punched from the front face. I see that some look as if they have been punched by hand and not machine.

I purchased a S4 parts car and the tag on it must have been punched from the front face. To date this tag has been painted over and is so worn that I have a difficult time seeing any of the numbers. I am not sure if this is the original tag for this car.

I have never been told why this is but if anyone has some information about tags, I would love to hear from you. I know that some had been made of a steel tag material and others from aluminum??

Andrew

ForzaDesign

Donation Time
As usual guys great input. Little wonder why I come here for diverse views. Both the used title and repo are good ideas. The one wrench I can through into the equation is the car has the original CA black plates. Although not a must, would like to retain some provenance.

Thoughts?

George Coleman

Gold Level Sponsor
You may check with Doug Jennings in Ohio use to be Tiger Auto he at one time had some of the tags that were correct for the cars.:cool: