• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

VB Windshields

v13311

Silver Level Sponsor
I have just received my "winter special" catalog from VB and I see that they are selling windshields for $129 + $20 oversize fee. This seems like a good deal. My question: Those of you who have installed VB windshields - Have you been satisfied with the quality of the glass? Would you do it again? Also, I have been told to get the rubber parts for the windshield from either SS or CS. Is that advice sound or not?

Thanks,

Ed

65beam

Donation Time
windshield

i bought two of them last year and they fit fine. no problems. if they're selling them for that again, i'll be buying another for the car we're doing now. the quality of the rubber from sunbeam specialties is by far the best to use.

v13311

Silver Level Sponsor
Thank you, 65Beam' for your response. I will seriously look into a pending purchase.

Ed

howard

Donation Time
Order the rubber parts from SS or CS. I ordered the windshield-to-body seal from VB and wound up ordering it again from SS. It didn't curve to the shape of the windshield, and I wanted a good fit.

I spent a good bit more on my windshield from SS. It'll be interesting to see if there's a thickness difference in what VB sells.

One of these days I'm going to list the old windshield I replaced. Someone shot it with a BB gun from the inside-direction.:mad: Be glad to give it away if someone wanted to come pick it up.

65beam

Donation Time
windshields

there aren't any differences in size or thickness. these were some of the things that doug at tiger auto and i talked about before i ordered last year. when he installed it ,everything was fine. difference is in vendors. i buy almost everything from sunbeam specialties, but for 175.00 total versus 475.00 i bought two. unless you require a windshield with made in the U.K. stamped on it these are not a bad buy.

howard

Donation Time
I remember Rick had two windshield styles at the time- one with the Triplex logo and a cheaper off-brand. Since I'm not restoring for competition, I chose the cheaper. Don't remember what I paid, but it was substantially more than what you're talking about. I don't regret it, though: Rick's great to deal with, and knows these cars. He has steered me clear of ordering stuff I didn't need.

(And I have no connection to Rick or any other vendor mentioned on this site.)

alpine_64

Donation Time
We noticed that many of the repro screens that were available to us even the triple X UK ones were thinner than original. A few years back a club member had a run made in 3mm i think. These are less likely to shatter when a stone hits and they fitted the rubbers much better,