• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Valve train adventures

Dan Cooper

Gold Level Sponsor
Gents--after solving my cooling issues, I have happily driving the Sunbeam around, finishing off the second tank of gas. Molly and I did a big loop through Sedgewick. Turned onto Parker Point road for the little buzz home and the car lost power, started clanking. Running on three barrels. Turned it off. Walked to my mother in law's, wife Molly drove me home and I loaded up on tools and drove over. Pulled the valve cover and:

See the pushrod poking out ? Put it back together loose but on and nursed it home.
Rode a bicycle over to get the truck. Yesterday I had a look. The tappet adjuster and the jam nut were both rough feeling. A look confirmed the jam nut was stripped. Also look at the adjuster—its bad right were the tappet needs to be. Pushrod looks OK. A little beat up around the rim of the top, the the tappet doesn’t touch that when properly installed. Good thing too as the spare pushrods from the other motor are totally different.
Anyways I have a set of spares from the rocker arms for the old motor, that all look new. So I swopped them all out. Good thing as every one was sub optimal. Set the tappet lash, and it drives nicely again.UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_4be2.jpg UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_4be3.jpg UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_4be2.jpg UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_4be3.jpg UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_4be6.jpg UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_4be7.jpg