• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Valve Clearances (lash)

V_Mad

Donation Time
I have read the WSM several times, to see what the procedure is for setting valve lash, and I am more confused than before.

There seems to be two methods depending on whether the tappets are full of oil or not.

The problem I have is the variability of clearance due to loss of oil from the hydraulic tappets. Is it necessary to bleed down each tappet to check the clearance, or is this unnecessay? If so, how do you do it?

Help!

MikeH

Diamond Level Sponsor
I've got a Ford service manual for 65 Mustang, Falcon, and Fairlane. I could check to see if the procedure is defined in clearer terms if you like. I'm pretty sure there is a section on the 260. As to the bleeding down the lifters, I think there is a special tool to do that. I'll look tonight.