• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Valve adjusting

Tom H

Platinum Level Sponsor
And that's the procedure that the WSM describes. But John was concerned about the need to hit the exact Open position on the Opposite piston. The point is that the method you describe, the method in the WSM, does not require great precision in setting the Open position because the "back side" of each cam is quite wide.

Tom

Last edited:

beamdream

Gold Level Sponsor
Hey Dan, no need to yell.

Perhaps my WSM reads different to yours; if I were to literally follow the advice on Section B Pg.16, I would be moving from #1 exhaust to #2 inlet, #3 exhaust and so on.

My point is, that with #1 at TDC and observing the rockers at #4, you can adjust both valves at #1 at the same time; the narrative in the WSM doesn't actually spell that out.

Stephen

Silver Level Sponsor
my 2 cents. I last adjusted mine with the engine hot by the the book.
Then heated it up again doing it in reverse order. I needed small adjustments first 3 which are the last 3 adjustment in the WSM. I use go/no go gauges that was 5000 miles ago still running nice

DanR

Diamond Level Sponsor
I'm hard of hearing.... too many jets!

Hey Dan, no need to yell.

Sorry Beam, I didn't know that big letters were "yelling".

Thanks for informing me! I learned something else today.

It's a lot of fun here on the Forum for me. I read most post and am intrigued by the comments and the responses:D

Hope all will forgive,

DanR

Hodee

Donation Time
I know this is a judgment call but... I was told better to have the valves a bit " loose"/loud than "quiet" and too tight. One post stated setting them at 10 and 12 thou, but I think the manual says 12 and 14. Thoughts?

beamdream

Gold Level Sponsor
I know this is a judgment call but... I was told better to have the valves a bit " loose"/loud than "quiet" and too tight. One post stated setting them at 10 and 12 thou, but I think the manual says 12 and 14. Thoughts?

If you are dealing with a standard engine stick with the specs from the manual, the manufacturers published them for good reason and trying to second guess their reasoning is a waste of time.

The primary function of these clearances is to have the cam lobes open and close valves at the correct intervals during the combustion cycle, mess with this and the engine cannot possibly run as well as it was designed to do.

hartmandm

Diamond Level Sponsor
Perhaps my WSM reads different to yours; if I were to literally follow the advice on Section B Pg.16, I would be moving from #1 exhaust to #2 inlet, #3 exhaust and so on.

My point is, that with #1 at TDC and observing the rockers at #4, you can adjust both valves at #1 at the same time; the narrative in the WSM doesn't actually spell that out.

Reviving this old thread. I am going to check/adjust the valve lash on my Alpine and beamdream's process eliminates half the checks for corresponding valve fully open and half the engine rotations. I didn't see any posts after beamdream clarified how his process differs from the WSM. Anyone have a reason not to adjust both valves at the same time on a single cylinder?

Thanks,
Mike

hartmandm

Diamond Level Sponsor
Reviving this old thread. I am going to check/adjust the valve lash on my Alpine and beamdream's process eliminates half the checks for corresponding valve fully open and half the engine rotations. I didn't see any posts after beamdream clarified how his process differs from the WSM. Anyone have a reason not to adjust both valves at the same time on a single cylinder?

Thanks,
Mike

I see that Jarrid stated a position on this concept back in 2007 indicating reasons to not do it this way.
http://sunbeamalpine.org/forum/showpost.php?p=33421&postcount=6

Thanks!
Mike

Tom H

Platinum Level Sponsor
I just read that post by Jarrid and
1) I agree that doing 2 valves at a time does not assure that the second valve is totally in proper position, fully on the "back side" of the lobe.
2) I don't understand his reference to "6 or 8 turns" . Using the WSM method assures that each valve is adjusted while at the "back side" of the cam lobe and requires only 2 engine revolutions (i.e. ONE cam revolution). When I do my valves I find the first TDC position and then just turn the crank 1/4 rotation.
3) I agree getting it done quickly while hot is important.
4) After adjusting all 8, I usually run the engine to get it hot again and listen for any valve noisier than the rest. Sometimes I will slip a 3 thou feeler into a few gaps to see if I can find the noisy one.
5) I just verified on page 9 of WSM 145, that only two revolutions are required. Maybe some older WSM required more.

Tom