• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

V6 slave adjust

sd_pace

Donation Time
Was putting in the slave cylinder on the V6 and am not sure of how much play we are suppose to have ... any one know off the top ? its a cnc pull slave .. just like the willwood type.:confused:

Barry

Diamond Level Sponsor
A hydraulic slave cylinder is just another kind of "linkage" to disengage the clutch.

Something around 1" of "free pedal" is probably about right. Anything less than 1/2" of "free pedal" is probably not enough. Anything more than 1-1/2" of "free pedal" is probably too much.

I like a "high" clutch pedal, but that's just my opinion; YMMV.

sd_pace

Donation Time
thanks Barry ... but I was talking about the pre-set before the peddle travel...
does the throwout bearing seat up on the clutch fingers or is there a gap between them...
(what is the gap between the clutch fingers and throw out bearing if any)?

bulldurham

Platinum Level Sponsor
clutch slave

Steve, I have a vague memory of Jose saying that distance was almost at touching but don't credit him if I am wrong. Maybe he will check in w/ you.

Barry

Diamond Level Sponsor
Steve,

The traditional school of thought is that there should be 1/16" to 1/8" clearance between the face of the throwout bearing and the clutch fingers when the clutch is completely engaged (clutch pedal all the way up).

There is a lot of mechanical advantage / ratio in the clutch release system (clutch pedal lever, master cylinder, slave cylinder, clutch release arm & the clutch fingers), so 1/16" to 1/8" clearance between the face of the throwout bearing and the clutch fingers winds up being something like 1/2" to 1-1/2" of "free play" at the clutch pedal.

A "pull back" spring on the clutch release arm may help to actually keep the throwout bearing off the clutch fingers.

DanR

Diamond Level Sponsor
I adjust mine by using the clutch lever arm, manually moving by hand to get a 'feel" of when the release bearing touches the pressure plate fingers then backing off a bit perhaps 1/8 of an inch or less. Just so it does not continually ride on the fingers.

Adjust the lever and the rods to mate, at that point, lock the nuts and you are good to go.

Attachments

• Slave Cylinder Mount Bracket 20160708_155243.jpg
    Slave Cylinder Mount Bracket 20160708_155243.jpg
    54.8 KB · Views: 55
Last edited:

sd_pace

Donation Time
thanks Guys thats what i needed... I thought the same but i am getting old and need refreshers some times...

V6 JOSE

Donation Time
Hi Steve,

The throw out bearing on the mustang, is a constant contact bearing, so you don't need clearance to keep the bearing from touching the fingers of the pressure plate. The original cable operation did not have a return spring, like most regular clutches need. What I would worry about, is over traveling the fingers of the pressure plate, and is why I have always advocated using a clutch pedal stop. I destroyed three pressure plates before I realized what was causing the problem.

thanks Guys thats what i needed... I thought the same but i am getting old and need refreshers some times...

sd_pace

Donation Time
Thanks Jose ... approx what is the depth that I want to attain ... the pull is 1 and 1/8th inch ... should I just stop at disengagement, or a specific depth?

DanR

Diamond Level Sponsor
A PIC of the '74-78 Mutt II Clutch release

Just thought you guys might like to see this picture of the Mustang II release arm return spring.

I always thought it was attached to the release arms to "pull" back the bearing to a set place to keep it from "riding" on the pressure plate forks, I have one of them installed on my Commodore Blue V6. Works great!

Last edited:

V6 JOSE

Donation Time
Hi Steve,

The best way to adjust the pedal stop, is to put the car on a slight incline in gear, then begin depressing the pedal until the car begins to move then set your stop about 1/4" from the floor at that point. You want the clutch to fully release with no gear grinding. Make sure you have the pedal stop tight so that it doesn't come loose once you've found the sweet spot.

Thanks Jose ... approx what is the depth that I want to attain ... the pull is 1 and 1/8th inch ... should I just stop at disengagement, or a specific depth?

sd_pace

Donation Time
thanks Jose

and the motors is in after 2.5 years too :eek:

Attachments

• IMG_0597a.jpg
    IMG_0597a.jpg
    78.4 KB · Views: 51

V6 JOSE

Donation Time
Congratulations! You are almost there. Just wait for the thrill you'll feel when you start it for the first time. Then the thrill you'll feel when it drived under it's own power. It will be one thrill after another. again congratulations!

thanks Jose

and the motors is in after 2.5 years too :eek:

sd_pace

Donation Time
thanks ya'll, its been a long road to get this far ... hoping to make the SOS...thats my goal at least... seats and dash is all thats left for the interior ... exhaust, brakes and putting it together on the exterior...