• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

V6 Marks 1964 Sunbeam Alpine V6 Project (UK)

V6 Mark

Donation Time
....it's been so long I forgot how to log in! and this is the second attempt to post a message - I must be getting senile!

First of all a belated Happy New Year (2007) to you all !

Special `Hello` to Jose, Chris (V6 Mad) and Ed109 (happy to see another Brit on board)

After another summer where I managed to find less satisfying projects with which to fill my time and empty my wallet (Reliant Scimitar 3.0 GTE) I am hoping to dust off the Alpine project and make sime progress through the bleak and damp English winter months (which runs from July 1st to 30th June).

If I remember correctly my Sunbeam is on axle stands with the V6 hovering above it. Perhaps after this much time the engine crane will have failed and the uengine will be pinning the front end of the car to the concrete!

Anyway - I'll post progress and dumb questions as I go along - and vaguely interesting pictures will be sent to webshots (http://outdoors.webshots.com/album/358966445HwfUGC)

Well - that's it for now - just wanted to reaquaint and say thanks for inspiration (seeing Ed109's post)

Best regards
Mark

V6 JOSE

Donation Time
....it's been so long I forgot how to log in! and this is the second attempt to post a message - I must be getting senile!

First of all a belated Happy New Year (2007) to you all !

Special `Hello` to Jose, Chris (V6 Mad) and Ed109 (happy to see another Brit on board)

After another summer where I managed to find less satisfying projects with which to fill my time and empty my wallet (Reliant Scimitar 3.0 GTE) I am hoping to dust off the Alpine project and make sime progress through the bleak and damp English winter months (which runs from July 1st to 30th June).

If I remember correctly my Sunbeam is on axle stands with the V6 hovering above it. Perhaps after this much time the engine crane will have failed and the uengine will be pinning the front end of the car to the concrete!

Anyway - I'll post progress and dumb questions as I go along - and vaguely interesting pictures will be sent to webshots (http://outdoors.webshots.com/album/358966445HwfUGC)

Well - that's it for now - just wanted to reaquaint and say thanks for inspiration (seeing Ed109's post)

Best regards
Mark
Hey Mark!!!

Glad to see you back! I'm here to give you a hand, although you pretty much had it all pretty much figured out. I look forward to hearing about the first time you fire it up. I can't wait.

Jose :D

V_Mad

Donation Time
Hi Mark.
Long time since you posted here, so welcome back. Good to see you last spring in your Scimitar.

I still drive my V6 Alpine most days, and I am sure you will love yours when its finished. I got a good reception at the Alpine National. Quite a few guys said they were surprised how 'at home' the V6 engine looks in there, it fits so well.

Are you still going the Fuel Injection route?

V6 Mark

Donation Time
Hey Jose, Chris et al

December 07 achievements:
Rebuilt subframe reattached to car
Hubs and wheels refitted
Car rolled out of garage and washed of 3 years dust and grime
Engine block put on stand
Dust cover for car purchased!

January 08 targets:
Complete inventory of required parts
Fabricate and weld in radiator mounting panel repair
Complete assembly of engine and paint
Purchase fuel lines and coolant hoses

Still to do:
Lots

V6 Mark

Donation Time
bit of an update and a couple of questions:

I have the gearbox (Type 9) ready - slave cylinder mounted on bracket from TVR. I need to make an actuation / push rod thing but that shouldn't be too problematic I guess and will probably use a ball pivot at the end where it meets the lever (is this the best solution?)

Perhaps Chris (UK) will know, should the lever have some sort of bush at its pivot point or does it fit directly on the brass stud in the bellhousing? it seems rattly without one.

Incidentally, I am using the lightweight alloy finned bellhousing - along with the finned rocker covers and finned airbox I will have more fins than Helsinki

V_Mad

Donation Time
Mark
I did not use a TVR bracket; instead I drilled the bellhousing and fitted the slave cyl directly to it. I made a push rod by cutting an old one to length. It pushes directly onto the clutch arm inside the bellhousing. I welded a ring onto the clutch arm to prevent the pushrod from wandering off-centre. This has worked fine so far.

If you are locating a push rod onto the arm outside the bellhousing there will be much more travel. Check that your slave cylinder will have sufficient travel as mine only just had enough?

Let me know if you want me to send some pics.

V6 Mark

Donation Time
Headers

Now these headers come from the TVR Tasmin 280i - They are the only UK spec V6 which I have found which MIGHT fit. I wonder if they would fit the Alpine bay with our 2 port heads ....
2566520560071536770odltPN

As my engine is not yet in the car can anyone tell me approx how many inches Jose's headers come out from the cylinder head?

thanks guys

Ed109

Donation Time
Well hello chaps - it's getting positively British in here!

Nice to see you back on board, Mark - I am delighted to have re-inspired.

I actually feel quite guilty as I've managed to do diddly squat with my V6 conversion since my last post but there's always 2008... Hopefully once we're over the arrival of little Ed number two in March I can get stuck back in proper. (Fat chance, I know.)

As for header help - I actually have a picture I took of Chris's in-situ for my own reference somewhere. From what I recall it's bloody tight! A D1 bend or something - the tightest available. Will post pic when I find it if you like.

Cheers for now.

V6 JOSE

Donation Time
Mark,

That manifold should be good for at least a ten hp. loss, from a full length two pipe header. Manufacturers use stuff like this for ease of manufacture and save a few bucks, but not for efficiency. As you know, I'm talking to my header guy, to see if he can use my fixtures, to make two port headers for you. If he can swing it, I would be able to supply kits to the UK. Wouldn't that be fun!!?? I should know soon, so I'll let you know.

Jose
:D

V_Mad

Donation Time
These are my home made headers made from preformed mandrel bent stainless tubing (quite expensive). Probably better than the Tasmin ones, but could be bettered with longer equal length tubes.

V6 Mark

Donation Time
Good grief! I will keep my fingers crossed fro good news from Jose's man.

It would be quite a test for me to come up with anything like as good as you have done Chris.

V6 JOSE

Donation Time
These are my home made headers made from preformed mandrel bent stainless tubing (quite expensive). Probably better than the Tasmin ones, but could be bettered with longer equal length tubes.

Hi Chris,

Those headers are great. I don't know if you would gain a whole lot more with full lenfth headers. What is wrong with the factory manifold, is that it has one pipe running into the other at almost a 89 degree angle. Yiurs aren't like that. The entry angle is much less, and is an example of what the factory should have done. I like what you have done on your Alpine.

Jose :)

V_Mad

Donation Time
I agree - they look great - WHY DIDN'T YOU MAKE 2 SETS CHRIS??? ;-)

When you get near completing your V6 conversion, there is only one thing on your mind; drive it as soon as possible :D!

I did think if I ever took the headers off I might make a jig, but it never happened. Also, no one else showed any interest in a second pair at the time.

But now, may be there is some interest ......? I wonder if Jez (sorry I mean Ed109) is interested or perhaps he already has a plan?

I could possibly get some prices; better to make two or more at a time.

V6 Mark

Donation Time
Thanks Chris, if Jose's man can't do a UK spec header we should talk

On a different note, just checking over bits and pieces and looking at my crankshaft pulley which I took down from 2 belt with a grinder - should I get this trimmed on a lathe and balanced or will it be ok if its level `by eye`?

thanks

V6 JOSE

Donation Time
Thanks Chris, if Jose's man can't do a UK spec header we should talk

On a different note, just checking over bits and pieces and looking at my crankshaft pulley which I took down from 2 belt with a grinder - should I get this trimmed on a lathe and balanced or will it be ok if its level `by eye`?

thanks
Mark,

I would true it up on a lathe. It doesn't take much affect the engine, especially at higher rpms. At least I would do that.

Jose :)