• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

DanR

Diamond Level Sponsor
Here is a question put to me yesterday! Do any of you have an answer? I do know the 2.8 heads are becoming more scarce or so it seems. If heads are used other than the 2.8 Siamese designed ports the headers will need to be developed for them in an Alpine.

Looking forward to ideas, suggestions etc., etc....

Hi Dan- this may be a more appropriate question for the entire forum but since you have done so much work on figuring out how to do the V6 conversion I’ll start with you.

In your documentation (very well done by the way) about how to set up the engine itself you pose a number of recommendations for modifying the 2.8L Heads...cooling passages, valves, etc. My question is “Wouldn’t it be quite a bit easier to buy a new set of 3.0L Heads?”....I believe they are bolt on compatible and they seem to be available and not too badly priced....seems like by the time you put into having the old heads machined you could just buy a new set. I’m not super familiar with the 2.8L engine so I may be missing something obvious.

Your thoughts would be appreciated.

Thanks!

Bill

Barry

Diamond Level Sponsor
Dan,

The Ford 2.8 / 2.9 / 4.0 V6 engines are "Cologne" engines. The Ford 3.0 push-rod V6 is a "Vulcan" engine.

Among other things, the cylinder bore spacing is different (4.760" for the Cologne V6 engines and 4.330" for the Vulcan V6).

Never say never, but I don't see any practical way to put 3.0 Vulcan V6 heads on 2.8 / 2.9 / 4.0 Cologne V6 blocks.

Last edited:

DanR

Diamond Level Sponsor
Thanks as always Barry! I have never owned a 3.0 and am totally unfamiliar with them.

I shall pass this on to Bill.

Visiting my machine Shop Guys today and looking at heads, asking dumb questions too!

They thought they had some 3.0's but could not find them. Had 4 sets of my 2.8's for my engines awaiting modification and a set of 4.0 V6 OHV heads.... sure look alot alike except for the Siamese exhaust ports. Have to get a head gasket and do some comparisons:)

todd reid

Gold Level Sponsor
There was also 3.0 Ford V6 made in England known as the Essex. Not many in this country, buy they were used in various TVR's, Morgan's, etc. The story here is the same as the Vulcan - parts not readily interchangeable.