• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

v6 for sale

Tullamore

Donation Time
It would be nice to have a modern drivetrain but that car has too many exterior modifications for my tastes. I wonder if those wheels are really that much wider or they are of the wrong offset.

Alpine 1789

SAOCA President
Diamond Level Sponsor
Not my taste either, but it looks like it was fairly well done. I think the radio housing is pretty interesting, with the two small speakers on each side. I've never seen anyone go that route before.

V6 JOSE

Donation Time
Looks to me as if he has an uncut rear end of some kind in there, and is why the rear tires stick out so far.

Jose

It would be nice to have a modern drivetrain but that car has too many exterior modifications for my tastes. I wonder if those wheels are really that much wider or they are of the wrong offset.

Series6

Past President
Gold Level Sponsor
Yes, but the fronts stick out as well. I think it might be incorrect off set.

socorob

Donation Time
I was thinking about copying his radio idea or doing something very similar when it's time to put tunes in.

V6 JOSE

Donation Time
Hi Nick,

My wheels stuck out like that, with neutral offset. The only way to get them tucked inside the fender, is to use a different offset on the front, while the rear needs neutral offset.

For some reason, Sunbeam made the front track waider than the rear end.

Jose

SDuncan

Donation Time
The tires on my Alpine stuck outlike that, due to the offset of the rims, and it was a bit of a bear to drive on rutted pavement. I liked to wander back and forth in the ruts. I switched to some Minilites that tucked the wheels under a bit and it made a big difference.

Is there a support brace missing on the driver side of the engine bay, or can I just not see it?

Bill Blue

Platinum Level Sponsor
Scott, the cowl brace on the drivers side is hiding in plain sight. Look for a yellow rod.

For some crazy reason, at first I also thought it was missing.

Bill

alpine_64

Donation Time
I wonder where they got eh valve covers? Cut down V8 ones?

Also the rear track has been widened on that car.

Jose.. as for the sunbeams narrower rear track (or wider front) the idea was to give intial understear with final oversteer.. period racer used to square track the cars sometimes but this would mean that the rear would push the front.

V6 JOSE

Donation Time
Hi Michael,

I knew there had to be a reason that the Alpine handles so well. It didn´t bother me too much to have the front tires stick out a bit. I was willing to have it that way, as long as it handled the way it did. The only problem, was that I had several guys, while driving down the road, yell at me that the car was crab tracking. When you can only see one side, it does make it look as if it were going down the road crooked.

Jose

V6 JOSE

Donation Time
Hi George,

How can you tell if it still has the stock steering box? I can´t tell by any of the pictures.

There was one guy that posted pictures of his GM V6 conversion on this forum, that still used the original steering box, but he had a hard time getting the headers made to fit it. That proves it can be done, but I haven´t seen another guy willing, or able to do that on their GM V6 conversion.

Jose

So how did he get the GM V-6 in there and keep the Alpine steering box?

George