• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

V6 fit

smashbeat

Silver Level Sponsor
Hi all. I'm rebuilding my sunbeam engine right now and I plan to put it back in the car. I also think that one day I would like to do a v6 conversion.
There is a local 1988 Ford ranger v6 2.8 engine at a good price.
I have to admit that I've planned to do my homework and read all this section but this engine showed up before I did my research.
So I'm asking if this engine would be a good fit.
Thanks

260Alpine

Silver Level Sponsor
88 would probably be a 2.9. There was also a 3.0. 85 was the last year for the 2.8 in the Ranger. 86 in the Aerostar. Dan R's 4.0 headers fit the 2.9.

Barry

Diamond Level Sponsor
88 would probably be a 2.9. There was also a 3.0. 85 was the last year for the 2.8 in the Ranger. 86 in the Aerostar. Dan R's 4.0 headers fit the 2.9.

There is more to "fit" than just having the same exhaust manifold bolt pattern. I suspect that the 1-3/4" I.D. primaries on Dan's 4.0 headers would be way too big for a 2.9.

Last edited:

smashbeat

Silver Level Sponsor
I've just read Dan's instructions and understood that a 2.8 is the way. I will wait patiently until one comes up at a good price