• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

V6 Exhaust Header Gaskets

britbeam

Donation Time
Just some technical assistance here. Those of us with the V6 will at sometime need to change the header gaskets as I am now. I had to do some searching to find the gaskets for the headers so I would like to share the info.I tried the local guys NAPA,Advance ,Autozone etc. but no one could help on the gaskets. Now the stock manifold gaskets will not work on the headers. I finally got help from Barnett Performance(404-522-1320) The p/n is(HED27110) and that is also the Hedman header P/N. Just passing on the info. Oh and they shipped to my door. They are the exact gasket that came with my headers from V6 Joe . Joe will also have them available at a later date.
Dwain V6 Krazy

Mark T

Donation Time
Why won't the stock manifold gaskets work with the headers?
Just some technical assistance here. Those of us with the V6 will at sometime need to change the header gaskets as I am now. I had to do some searching to find the gaskets for the headers so I would like to share the info.I tried the local guys NAPA,Advance ,Autozone etc. but no one could help on the gaskets. Now the stock manifold gaskets will not work on the headers. I finally got help from Barnett Performance(404-522-1320) The p/n is(HED27110) and that is also the Hedman header P/N. Just passing on the info. Oh and they shipped to my door. They are the exact gasket that came with my headers from V6 Joe . Joe will also have them available at a later date.
Dwain V6 Krazy

britbeam

Donation Time
Why won't the stock manifold gaskets work with the headers?

The headers seal at the point where the tubes come through the flange. At each tube position the weld is raised for sealing purposes.The stock gasket has no material for sealing in this area as it seals on the outer perimeter.Also the stock gasket is perforated on the exhaust manifold side.I spoke with Jim Moyer before I purchased the gaskets and the info came from him on the raised area. He said he raises the tube area so it will have a sealing area. The gaskets cost $8.98 not bad but the shipping is a killer. Freight and handling is another$15.00 so while I was at it I ordered two sets so that when the need arrives Ive got them.The gaskets are like most header gaskets flat gasket material both sides. I had 11,000 miles on the orignal set of gaskets and if I hadnt drug bottom on so many speed bumps they would probably still be good. But no longer the low rider days are gone I have ground clearance now.
Dwain V6 Krazy

V6 JOSE

Donation Time
Dwain is correct in his description of how it works. Stock gaskets are thin and have metal on one side. The proper header gaskets are thicker, with no metal on it, so that they allow the ring around the pipe opening to bite into it and seal it that way. To install the header so that you don't get leaks, you can delete the two top bolts. The reason is that the top bolts , if tightened too much, can cause the header to pinch the gasket there, which will cause the lower part of the sealing ring to not haved an equal amount of pressure, which can lead to a leak from the bottom. If you don't like the look of empty bolt holes, you can install them but not tighten them too much.

A tip on how to not have tho retighten the header bolts, is to install them with Loc-Tite blue. That way, you won't lose the top bolts, because you didn't make them sweat, (over tighten them) when you tightened them. If you install them this way, you will be leak free for a long time.

Jose :)

Mark T

Donation Time
The headers on my car are flat across the face. The guy I bought the car from built the headers by welding the tubes to the flange, but they don't protrude through the flange. Any idea what gaskets would work best for me?

Mark T

Donation Time
Or should I have a small bead of weld put around each hole and then use header gaskets?

britbeam

Donation Time
Looking at the Hedman gaskets I have in hand I would say they will work on the configuration you have also. You still need flat gaskets with out the metal. The holes in the stock gaskets are elongated and dont have the sealing surface as the Hedman gaskets.I think thats your only option.Headers need header gaskets not stock gaskets. As far as I know its been this way since headers have been available.Let us know how yours work and see you at the Invasion.

Dwain V6 Krazy

Mark T

Donation Time
Thanks Dwain! I'll order a couple of sets ASAP.

Would my idea of putting a small bead of weld around each hole be worth the effort? I'm thinking that as long as the beads were planed down so that they were all at a uniform height then they would bite right into the gasket material and seal better. Probably reduce the chance of the gasket blowing out too.

britbeam

Donation Time

Would my idea of putting a small bead of weld around each hole be worth the effort? I'm thinking that as long as the beads were planed down so that they were all at a uniform height then they would bite right into the gasket material and seal better. Probably reduce the chance of the gasket blowing out too.

That sounds like a reasonable thing to do but I would like to hear Joses input on that. The bead of weld around mine does look as if they were ground down for a flat but slightly raised surface. I hope to get my header back on sometime today.
Dwain V6 Krazy

V6 JOSE

Donation Time

Hi Mark,

Welding a bead around the pipe, then putting it in a belt sander, to leave the welds all the same hight is what you should do. The headers we make are like that, but they need to be done on a large flat belt sander, so they are all the same hight. You want the ring to stand out about .030/.040 above the header flange, so it can dig into the gasket.

Mark T

Donation Time
Thanks Jose! Should the bead be right on the edge of the holes or should it be back a bit from the edge?
Also, does anyone know who else besides Barnett Performance might carry the Hedman gaskets? Barnett doesn't have any and neither does JEGS. Does any other company make the gaskets besides Hedman? Thanks!

Mark T

Donation Time
Thank you too Dwain! Sorry, I'm half asleep and didn't see that you had answered me too.

V6 JOSE

Donation Time
Thanks Jose! Should the bead be right on the edge of the holes or should it be back a bit from the edge?
Also, does anyone know who else besides Barnett Performance might carry the Hedman gaskets? Barnett doesn't have any and neither does JEGS. Does any other company make the gaskets besides Hedman? Thanks!
The ring should be as close to the edge, without going into the pipe, because it could cause restriction.

britbeam

Donation Time

Barnett didnt have them when I went to their store but they ordered them for me from Hedman. Also they could have ordered them from Hooker for me but I chose to stick with the Hedman gaskets because thats what my old ones were.If the guy just looked at his computer and not the real books(as in the old days) he might not see he could order them. Although these guys are sharp. They called me to tell me they had the gaskets in the store and would ship. I had them the next day.It took 1 week to receive them.
Dwain V6 Krazy

Mark T

Donation Time
Hi Dwain! He did say that he could order them but it would take 4 to 5 weeks to get them. Unfortunately Invasion is in 3 1/2!

britbeam

Donation Time
Hi Dwain! He did say that he could order them but it would take 4 to 5 weeks to get them. Unfortunately Invasion is in 3 1/2!

Well that guy is full of dirty dish water. I got mine in 7 days.I was begining to think I had got the last ones from Hedman. So its good to know that they do have them. You see we have a engine that we think is great but its not the normal Hotrod motor to the rest of the community. Thats good in that there are parts we can find that they dont wont. I remember when I had the 4cyl. Local guys would look under the hood and walk on now with the V6 they hang around and want to know more.Even though the V6 is great until they experience it they are still Big Block guys.
Check your PM
DwainV6 Krazy

lardbird

Donation Time
Mark,

The guys at my local AutoZone were able to order the Hooker gaskets for me and I think I received them in 2 business days.

Bob

V6 JOSE

Donation Time
Barnett didnt have them when I went to their store but they ordered them for me from Hedman. Also they could have ordered them from Hooker for me but I chose to stick with the Hedman gaskets because thats what my old ones were.If the guy just looked at his computer and not the real books(as in the old days) he might not see he could order them. Although these guys are sharp. They called me to tell me they had the gaskets in the store and would ship. I had them the next day.It took 1 week to receive them.
Dwain V6 Krazy
Both Hedman and Hooker gaskets will work fine. One is white and the other is black, ( I don't remember which is which), but they both are thick enough to allow the header ring to bite into them. They are hard, so can be used several times before they finally should be replaced.

Mark T

Donation Time
Thanks Jose, Bob & especially Dwain, who is sending me his spare set!!!

OK, crank pulley on it's way from Sam in Texas and header gaskets on their way from Dwain in Georgia. I don't know where I'd be without our great club and all of it's helpful members.

I wonder what the next 'challenge' will be?