• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

V6 Conversion update - First Fit.

kmathis

Donation Time
Well, I did the tunnel modification last weekend, so today the engine went in for the first time; only glitch was the angle of the lower radiator hose connection, but I have already dropped that off at the radiator shop for altering.
Now to weld on the mounts, re-rout the brake lines and install a steel gas line from the tank and I will be ready to start 'er up.
Can't wait.
This has been so much fun!:D
I am new the this webshot thing,:eek: but, I think you can see a few pictures
at this site here.
http://community.webshots.com/album/579785982hKdvCz

puff4

Platinum Level Sponsor
Just out of curiosity, has anyone used an all-aluminum V6 in the Alpine? I'm thinking like the Buick 231 Turbo V6 engine. Or maybe the GM 60 degree V6 (latest variant is in the Cadillac CTS)? Seems the weight savings of having an alloy block and heads would be considerable and it would likely weigh less overall than the original 1725. Would make for one heck of a screamer... I think they put out in excess of 300 horse now.

kmathis

Donation Time
OOPS! KELLY... Sorry.

That's Ok, Nick; I will answer to most anything.:D

I worked on the conversion all day today; who ever said to measure that clearance for the header and the steering arm again and again, knew what they were talking about. Just when I thought I had it all bolted in and ready to weld the mounts, I checked again and the header was hitting the arm again.
I got it this time, though; I will be welding on the mounts in the morning. (after one more check on the steering clearance)
Measured and ordered my new drive shaft from Unitrax here in Anaheim today; I pick it up on Tuesday. I also picked up my Radiator today. and the lower hose connector is positioned just right. Onward!

kmathis

Donation Time
I should be racing to the finish, but I feel like I am crawling; I have the new driveshaft bolted in, new steel fuel lines from the tank to the electric fuel pump and from there to the engine compartment. Installed the alternator today and did the fan modification and got that installed. Radiator goes in next, headers are out getting ceramic coated; those go in next week. It is amazing how much there is to do before you can start it up. It all sounds so easy when you are just talking about it.:D

britbeam

Donation Time
Just out of curiosity, has anyone used an all-aluminum V6 in the Alpine? I'm thinking like the Buick 231 Turbo V6 engine. Or maybe the GM 60 degree V6 (latest variant is in the Cadillac CTS)? Seems the weight savings of having an alloy block and heads would be considerable and it would likely weigh less overall than the original 1725. Would make for one heck of a screamer... I think they put out in excess of 300 horse now.

If you want a clean quick route to driving a V6 Alpine the 2.8 Ford is the way to go. The issues have been worked out so it makes the job flow quickly to the point you can be enjoying every drive in your modified Alpine.There are other engines you can use but none (V6) that will have the minmal impact on the Alpine and I might add it looks as if it is a factory installation.Quick horsepower has its cost.
Dwain V6 Krazy

miket

Donation Time
Looks great Kevin. The Holly looks huge on that engine, so you may have to change some jets.
The slave cylinder is interesting. What make is it?

One thing you learn when you do a conversion or restoration. There are a lot of pieces in a car.

Puff4, I used the GM v6 (3.4). I love it. One reason is the Ford 2.8 is not so easy to find up here in the north east. I think the 3.4 has more power than the original 260/Tiger. It cruises so effortlessly. Where's spring?

Cheers,
Mike

kmathis

Donation Time
Hi, Mike:

The slave cylinder is a Neal Performance slave; they are located in San Diego, Ca. Bought it direct from them; about a 100 bucks.

kmathis

Donation Time
V6 Start-up Videos

Hi, Guys:

Just started up my V6 with V6Jose watching on Skype and I took a few videos;
it ran great, had a little flooding from the carb. probably a high float level, but it runs great.:D
Thanks to all on this board who helped me with all of the details of this conversion. Can't wait to get all the rest together so i can drive it.:D
What fun.:D

I am stoked.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pcnq6MOrWto
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Yvnwu-PDB0
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eXbu2T4NLMw

Tom H

Platinum Level Sponsor
Kelly, Congrats. looks and sounds great. I'd be stoked too. I especially like the view of the dash;). Felt good.

Tom

Series6

Past President
Gold Level Sponsor
Kelly,

Congrats! Sounds like a beast. How long before you go down the road and give us a report?

kmathis

Donation Time
Kelly,

Congrats! Sounds like a beast. How long before you go down the road and give us a report?

I hope to get the slave cylinder on and adjusted this weekend and bleed the brakes. Then it is off to the Muffler shop. As soon as I have brakes and clutch, I will be driving it around the block open pipes. The nieghbors think I'm nuts anyways.:D

britbeam

Donation Time
You love it now just wait til you drive it, feel the power,responsiveness and new attitude the car has. This mod totally changes the driveability and the FUN FACTOR goes up . Enjoy your Darkside Alpine.
Dwain V6 Krazy