• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

V6 Conversion Speedometer Ratio Adapter

kmathis

Donation Time
Hi, All:

When I completed my V6 conversion I wanted to keep my stock speedometer, partly because of the cost of an electronic one and the converter required to make it work, but mostly because I like the stock look and I don't have to change the rest of the gauges to have them all match.
Anyway, I found an adapter at Raptor Transmission's on-line cataloge that would slow down the stock speedometer 28%, it was $89 and it bolts right in the T5, then I had a cable made up that matched my Jeager speedo head and the adapter, that was $71 and my local speedometer shop made that while I waited; with a 19 tooth driven gear ($4 dollars from my local Ford dealer) my speedometer is off by only 2%, meaning that when I am showing 50 on the speedometer I am actually doing 49 MPH.
The best that I could do with a 21 tooth gear was 22% off and the adapter took care of the rest. There are a few pictures at the web site below.
I did have to cut a clearance hole where my tunnel meets the floor board, and I will make a cover for that, the cable didn't miss my much, as you can see in the pictures.

http://rides.webshots.com/album/580555445GaJQFS?vhost=rides

Did I mention that I get rubber going into third gear with my V6,:eek: I love this car. Uh Oh, the L word, I think this is serious.:rolleyes:

Series6

Past President
Gold Level Sponsor
Geez Kelly.... Rather than waste a bunch of time figuring out all the little details when my project gets started again, I'll just have you come over and do it.... Even the hole for the cable is neatly done..... Yikes...

bulldurham

Platinum Level Sponsor
Nice job Kelly. I had to cut a hole also but I made it a bit larger then boxed it in.
The info on the adapter is good to know. Thanks