• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

V6 conversion, Ford V 2800 (European version)

pruyter

Donation Time
Hi,

A friend of mine is planning to install a Ford V 2800 in his Alpine. I have been reading some stuff about this conversion on this forum and if I have understood it correctly the advice is to use the 2800 engine and not the 2600 version because the arrangement of the exhaust manifold from the 2800 suits the Alpine better.
By reading more and more I discovered that the European version of the Ford V6 2800 used a "siamesed" two-port exhaust manifold,similar to the one used on the V4, while the American version used three-port heads.
Does that mean that the European version of this engine is not usable and if so are there Ford V6 Cologne alternatives here in Europe?
I also red that a Ford Mustang T5 gearbox can just be bolted on the Ford V6 engine. Does that mean without any alterations at the bell housing?
Last question: T5 gearboxes are not easy to find here in the Netherlands, are there alternatives for this gearbox that can be bought in Europe?
Thank a lot in advance!

Regards,

Peter

V6 JOSE

Donation Time
Hi Peter,

The reason the 2.6 isn´t recommended, isn´t because of the siamesed ports. It isn´t recommended because it is obsolete and the parts for it are scarce and expensive. The Euro spec 2.8 has the same port configuration and will fit just fine.

To make the T5 bolt up to the 2.8 V6, you´d need a bellhousing from a Mustang II, years 1974-1978 and some 1979 mustangs. The best transmission for you to use, would be the Type 9, which comes behind the Euro spec V6.

Hi,

A friend of mine is planning to install a Ford V 2800 in his Alpine. I have been reading some stuff about this conversion on this forum and if I have understood it correctly the advice is to use the 2800 engine and not the 2600 version because the arrangement of the exhaust manifold from the 2800 suits the Alpine better.
By reading more and more I discovered that the European version of the Ford V6 2800 used a "siamesed" two-port exhaust manifold,similar to the one used on the V4, while the American version used three-port heads.
Does that mean that the European version of this engine is not usable and if so are there Ford V6 Cologne alternatives here in Europe?
I also red that a Ford Mustang T5 gearbox can just be bolted on the Ford V6 engine. Does that mean without any alterations at the bell housing?
Last question: T5 gearboxes are not easy to find here in the Netherlands, are there alternatives for this gearbox that can be bought in Europe?
Thank a lot in advance!

Regards,

Peter

pruyter

Donation Time
Hi José,

Thank you very much for your explination! Is there by any chance a video or photo shoot about this conversion here on the forum?
I myself am not skilled enough to do this conversion, but my friend surely is and I want to help him with as much information that can possibly be found.
It will be anyhow a challenge for him to find here in the Netherlands the gearbox plus bell housing, because Mustangs were never sold here in some quantity.
Thank your for the link to your blogspot!

Regards,

Peter

V6 JOSE

Donation Time
Unfortumately Peter

There is no video, although there are pictures on the blog spot. Everything you´ll need to know is in there. If you ahve any questions along the way, just frop me an email and I will answer them.

I would recommend using the Ford Type 9 transmission, which is what came behind the stick shift V6s. All you´d need is to modify your stock transmission support crossmember. I would use the Ford driveshaft that works with the Type 9 transmission, and have it modified in the rear to accept the Alpine flange to mate to the stock Alpine rear end.

Last edited:

pruyter

Donation Time
Hi José,

We haven taken your advice and an 2.3 litre engine from a Ford Sierra plus N/9 gearbox has been aquired. Yesterday we have tried a loose fit, meaning the engine plus gearbox was placed on a trolley and placed in the engine room in order to check if there was space enough to install the engine plus gearbox without cutting the transmission tunnel. Our findings are that all looks like an relatively easy fit, only the gearstick is situated at the place where the ashtray is,but that is no real bother.
The real trouble we have encountered is that although the exhaust manifold on the left side of the engine (the side of the stearing box) causes no trouble it certainly is not the case with the exhaust of the right side of the engine. It seems that there is no sufficient place for it.
Do you have any advice on this one?
Thanks in advance!

Best regards,

Peter

Last edited:

V6 JOSE

Donation Time
Hi Peter,

I would recommend making a tubular header to fit in place of the stock exhaust manifold. That way you can set the engine in it{s ideal location and be able to clear the steering b ox.