• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

v6 carb help

seriesvince

Donation Time
I'm running a Holley 390 on the ford 2.8. starts, but idles VERY high... around 2000 rpm. Its not the standard idle adjustment. I can back the idle screw all the way out and it is still running at 2000 rpm. The air flap is open just slightly... if I force it close, the idle obviously slows down. I think the issue has to do with the amount of gas getting into the engine. When I kill the engine I get a lot of white vapor coming out of the carb. The kind of smoke that comes out right before a gas fire. I'm afraid to let the engine heat up all the way as I dont want to ignite whatever extra gas seems to be dripping into the manifold. I have checked the float level. seems to be good.

any ideas on where the extra gas is coming from? is this normal? could this just be a function of the choke?

thanks guys...

Bill Blue

Platinum Level Sponsor
A couple of suggestions as I obviously don't have a clue what your setup is like.

Is the accelerator linkage unhooked from the carb? It might be holding the plate open. Second, is the high idle cam lobe that is controlled by the choke plate completely disengaged?

Bill

V_Mad

Donation Time
Vince, forget the gas for a moment, the engine could not rev without air. If you cant kill the engine when the idle speed screw is out, then you have a Bob Marley problem with your carb or your linkage (its jamming :D).

When you have solved that you can look at your gas problem, if you have one.

66Tiger

Donation Time
seriesvince,
If the idle screws don't affect the idle speed then your throttle blades are too far open. There are idle transfer slots in the barrels and no more than 1/16" should be showing when you have the carb flipped upside down and are looking at them.

I would check all the linkages and make sure everything is working together, then with the carb off the car adjust the throttle blades so they are just a hair open. Set the idle screws out 1-1/2 turns. Make sure the accelerator pump is properly adjusted. And go from there. Every screw you twist can affect other things, and it doesn't take much to get things out of wack.

Also look at the secondaries, those can be cracked open to allow more air to increase idle speed if needed.

When adjusting make sure the engine is warm and the choke plate is fully open, a cold choked engine will make a difference.

Extra gas probably would be from not running on the idle circuit...are you fouling plugs? or any black smoke out the back? Both indicate running rich, but you might not be quite that rich.

Paul