• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

V6 Bell Housing

JR66

Gold Level Sponsor
There are three holes that appear to be tapped into the 2.8 L V6 bell housing that look like they would allow better securing of the block cover to the bottom of the bell housing. Does anyone know the thread? Looks coarse. None of my spare bolts seem to fit, metric or not. Not a big deal but figured I'd use them if I could. Doesn't seem like a good place to use machine screws either.

JR66

Gold Level Sponsor
Three blind holes, two at the bottom & one on the side. I noticed them when I had the block plate off to straighten a bend and noticed the matching holes in the plate. They're accessible when the bell housing is installed.IMG_3095.jpeg

DanR

Diamond Level Sponsor
Does anyone know the thread?
I believe they are the same thread as the oil pan bolts. Six (6) mm 1.0 treads. Will tell you tomorrow when I can check one of my bellhousings. (Sorry, this Olde Man is forgetting a few things now-a-days).

JR66

Gold Level Sponsor
Thanks Dan. BTW I didn't remove them because I got bell housing, plate, etc. all separately as parts.

DanR

Diamond Level Sponsor
JR66, The three holes you asked about should be 6mm 1.0 thread if stock.

I found one of my bellhousings had two that were 6mm and one 7mm. Perhaps due to thread damage, someone has drill and tapped it from 6mm to 7mm.

The two bolt holes that secure the stater in place are 10mm1.5 threads.

JR66

Gold Level Sponsor
Dan, Thanks! It was a big help to know what the thread should be because the threads were buggered up some & none of my bolts would start in. Knowing that it should be 6 mm I was able to force start the 6 mm and chased the threads okay with the bolt. Ideally a tap would have been better but I didn't want to buy one if I didn't have to. Thanks again, Jon

DanR

Diamond Level Sponsor
The threads in the V6 are all metric. You probably should plan to buy a small metric tap and die set because it is a worthy investment. Most if not all of the bolts and holes will need to be cleaned. The metric kits usually will cover all of your metric needs such as 6, 7, 8, 10, & 12 mm taps and dies.