• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

V6 Battery Relocation

Ed109

Donation Time
Hi all,

So my V6 is in place and mounts are being welded up by my body guy. He's very kindly run me a second pass-through for the exhaust but obviously hits a bit of a problem with the Alpine battery box sitting right in the way of where you would run the second pipe.

I've told him to chop the box out and plate it over and I'll relocate the battery into the boot/trunk Tiger-styli during rebuild. Problem is I can't find a decent reference of how the Tigers mount up, spare wheel and all.

Anyone got a pic (or a better idea)?

Also, if I'm going this route, is there any point in keeping the spare wheel well if the spare is going to lie flat as I recall?

Cheers

sunalp

Diamond Level Sponsor
Ed, I did the exact same thing as I didn't want to run the exhaust down the sides of the body. I just modified the battery box. I didn't want to put the battery in the trunk as I like the space that Alpine has! The battery box is really too large and there are alot of smaller batteries available now that will fit in a smaller space. I have a 10" battery in my Series IV, so I modified the battery box to take the smaller battery. Since the exhaust is all custom anyway, we can route the exhaust easily around the modified box.
Sorry, no pics available today, but I can take one & get it to you.
Hope that helps!
Steve

miket

Donation Time
I decided to run the exhaust under the diff. This allowed me to place the muffler further forward (It's behind the diff vs in front). As I recall the Tiger exhaust travelled under the diff too.
You're lucky that teh mechanic did the pass-through. That's wasn't a fun job.
I might have a pictuire which I'll post tonight.
Mike

Barry

Diamond Level Sponsor
Hi all,

I've told him to chop the box out and plate it over and I'll relocate the battery into the boot/trunk Tiger-styli during rebuild. Problem is I can't find a decent reference of how the Tigers mount up, spare wheel and all.

Anyone got a pic (or a better idea)?

Also, if I'm going this route, is there any point in keeping the spare wheel well if the spare is going to lie flat as I recall?

Cheers

Ed,

The attached picture shows an original Mk-II Tiger trunk. The battery is a Group 27; you can get plenty of battery power in a smaller package these days which should make things easier.

The Mk-II fuel pump was mounted in the spare tire well. That protects the pump but puts potential fuel leaks inside the trunk which may not be the best solution.

Just my opinion, YMMV.

PS - I can supply a much larger picture if needed. The small 18.6 kB picture results from the attachment limitation of 19.5 kB.

Attachments

• MKII_trunk (18.6kb).jpeg
    MKII_trunk (18.6kb).jpeg
    18.7 KB · Views: 73

V6 JOSE

Donation Time
Hi Ed,

The Alpine battery box is larger than it really needs to be. I recommend getting one of the small Jell Cell batteries, and cut the battery box to fit it. You really don't need to cut out the whole box, just about 2" X 2" on the inside corner. With that done, you can easily pass your 2" exhaust pipe by it.

Jose

p.s. I also like the large trunk of the later series Alpines, so wouldn't want to limit it's size with a battery back there.

AlpineII

Donation Time
I too had the same delemna, especially after have a second exhaust path cut through cross-bracing. I did like Sunalp and shortened the battery box to take a smaller battery and I did measure it first to ensure I could still fit one of the newer and smaller batteries in..

Ed109

Donation Time
Cheers for the POVs and pics, fellas.

I'm frantically trying to get hold of my body guy to see if he's actually chopped the box out yet as I'd rather keep it neat behind the drivers seat if it can work.

He get's a bit plasma cutter happy sometimes - he's a rodder at heart so I nearly had side pipes coming out of the front fenders!

weaselkeeper

Silver Level Sponsor

Yenko

Donation Time
Hello Ed109,

I do had to shortened my battery box for more room, but not for my mufflers, but for a pinion mounted park brake. I had to cut it between 1½ and 2 inchs.
Took a speed grinder...cut the box...took the piece that I cut and relocated farder in the box...riveted it and sealed with undercoating...not the greatest quality job,but this is my 'FUN' car...not a 'Trailer Queen'...:D

Here are some photos...

Alpine 1789

SAOCA President
Diamond Level Sponsor
Has anyone ever shortened the box? I cut an inch or two off mine quite a while ago, based on battery measurements I'd found online. I later went to AutoZone and measured batteries there and discovered that the online measurements didn't take the mounting tabs on the bottom into account. None of their short batteries would fit into the box. I've had other things to worry about since then, but will be starting back on the V6 in the near future :)D), so it is time to resurrect that problem.

britbeam

Donation Time
Hello Ed109,

I do had to shortened my battery box for more room, but not for my mufflers, but for a pinion mounted park brake. I had to cut it between 1½ and 2 inchs.
Took a speed grinder...cut the box...took the piece that I cut and relocated farder in the box...riveted it and sealed with undercoating...not the greatest quality job,but this is my 'FUN' car...not a 'Trailer Queen'...:D

Here are some photos...

Hey looks like a good fix to me and no trailer queen in my garage either. I really think the fun factor goes up tremendous when you dont have to worry about a high dollar perfect everything car. When I see a perfect car and the owner says he finished it 15 years ago I say DUDE drive it your missing all the fun. Drivem thats what they were built for.
Dwain V6 Krazy

miket

Donation Time
MikeH,
Instead of forming a hoop to go over the differential, my pipe goes streight and under. I tried to add a photo but it didn't work.
Mike T.

MikeH

Diamond Level Sponsor
MikeH,
Instead of forming a hoop to go over the differential, my pipe goes streight and under. I tried to add a photo but it didn't work.
Mike T.

I understand the going under part, my MGB runs that way. What I don't get is:

"This allowed me to place the muffler further forward (It's behind the diff vs in front)."

Never mind now that I read it again, I do. You can get it closer to the diff and that you have it mounted behind it instead of on front of it. DUH :eek:

bluoval

Donation Time
bat mount

Hi All I cut out the bat box completely and mounted the elect fuel punp where the bat box was, then put the bat in the trunk used the polished billit alum holddown from spwwdway mtrs, Earl bluoval

miket

Donation Time
MikeH,

yes, without the hoop , it can be located further forward.

I painted the back of the muffler black so it not so opvious.

Mike