• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

V/6 starter and alternator??

Gitsmart

Donation Time
rounding up the last bits for this V/6 swap, the starter is the basic mustang ii starter but pricing here is 175.00 for a lifetime warranty or 106.00 for a 3 year warranty lower grade version :(

but what are the options for the alternator? a simple single wire, does anyone have part numbers... tia

Gary

V6 JOSE

Donation Time
Hi Gary,

The following numbers are the alternators that will work. There are others that will also work, but these are the ones that were used when the bracket was designed.

The first one is#13-4011 SW, and it is a 63 amp. single wire unit.The other is a #213-4011, and is a 60 amp. 3 wire hookup. These are NAPA part numbers, but you may be able to cross reference to other makers part numbers.

Jose

rounding up the last bits for this V/6 swap, the starter is the basic mustang ii starter but pricing here is 175.00 for a lifetime warranty or 106.00 for a 3 year warranty lower grade version :(

but what are the options for the alternator? a simple single wire, does anyone have part numbers... tia

Gary

Chuck Ingram

Donation Time
You can also use amn AC delco 70 amp alternator.You use a clip and it is then a basic 2 wire setup.
The 2.8 starter is very reliable and will do the job for a long time.

Bill Blue

Platinum Level Sponsor
You can get Mutt II reman starters for 50 bucks, plus shipping from Rock Auto. Probably an alternator for about the same. They don't rob you blind with shipping cost, either.

Bill

V6 JOSE

Donation Time
The shipping isn´t the only charge that determines what you will eventually, pay in Canada. The Canadian government charges import duties, which adds more to the end cost, and I imagine that is why the regular starter costs $100+ Canadian.

The only good thing about it, is that the Mustang II starter is pretty bullet proof, and should last for years.

Jose

There is a 2.8 remanufactured starter on eBay right now for only $25. Shipping to Canada is a bit high at $48, but it still seems like a pretty good deal. But, no connection, etc.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Ford...ptZMotorsQ5fCarQ5fTruckQ5fPartsQ5fAccessories

socorob

Donation Time
I used a g3 from a mid 90s Taurus. Where it bolts on the bracket I had to cut 1/4" off the part the long bolt goes through and movethe cut off piece to the opposite side for a spacer. It's 100 amp and internally regulated and plentiful.

Blue coyote

Donation Time
The shipping isn´t the only charge that determines what you will eventually, pay in Canada. The Canadian government charges import duties, which adds more to the end cost, and I imagine that is why the regular starter costs $100+ Canadian.

The only good thing about it, is that the Mustang II starter is pretty bullet proof, and should last for years.

Jose

Actually, there is NO duty charged on US (well NAFTA) produced auto parts into Canada. You MAY get dinged GST/PST, and many cross-border carriers charge a $40 "fee" for clearing the parts through Customs on ground service. Use the Postal service to avoid this ridiculous cash grab.

If a Mustang II V6 starter is needed in Canada, let me know. I have a couple of them in BC...

V6 JOSE

Donation Time
Hi Blue Coyote,

My only experience with Canadian customs, has been shipping my kit to Canada. I guess my Canadian customers have had to pay duty, because my parts are not covered under the NAFTA treaty. I have had to pre pay some of the duty, when I pay the shipping charges at time of shipping.

Jose

Chuck Ingram

Donation Time
There are so many good auto electric shops in Canada I can not imagine why anyone would need to import a starter.
When Ohan was traveling to the Targa event I had hosted him.The alternator was so far gone it was useless for a rebuild.A shop where I deal got him an alternator and he was on his way in a few hours.Therefore I would suggest checking out your local shops.If you do not know any just go to a car show or where rodders are and for sure they will know a good shop.

Jim E

Donation Time
Is the starter a common Ford piece? as in used on other engines? do not know Fords that well but with GM if a starter went and the replacement you had was different you just changed the nose cone

Blue coyote

Donation Time
Something to note on V6 starters...

While the starter used on the later Ranger/Bronco II/Aerostar looks the same, the "nose cone" and shaft are a slightly different length, which will mess up the throw if used with the Mustang II setup (and vice versa). The difference is about 1/8"

Gitsmart

Donation Time
Something to note on V6 starters...

While the starter used on the later Ranger/Bronco II/Aerostar looks the same, the "nose cone" and shaft are a slightly different length, which will mess up the throw if used with the Mustang II setup (and vice versa). The difference is about 1/8"

explain mustang II set up, I have a ranger block, with a mustang II flywheel/bellhousing, do I need the ranger or the mustang II starter?

Blue coyote

Donation Time
Its been several years since I had to think about it, but I know I had problems with it when I was running a Mustang II engine with a Bronco II 5-speed. The difference is only about 1/8", but it was enough to make a godsaeful racket when I used the wrong one.

Your best bet would be to measure your engine/tranny combination from the starter mount to the flywheel, and go from there.

Gitsmart

Donation Time
looking at the rockauto web site they show two different part numbers for the starter on the bronco II and mustang II