• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

upper oiling issue

SIVAllan

Gold Level Sponsor
I've just spent a couple hours experimenting with "Advanced Search" to find a discussion/fix on the upper oiling issue - no luck.

Could anyone point out the relevant thread(s)?

From what little I know :) the fix is to install a rubber (?) o-ring at the junction of the oil pipe to the rocker assembly...??

Thank you.

Allan

agmason54

Donation Time
Upper oiling issue,,

Hello Allan,
The line that comes up from the block to the rocker arms has a brass fitting with a 'farrel'.I'm guessing your's is bad.I have one of those lines in good shape ready for you if need be be.You may also need the brass junction between the rocker assemblies.I'm thinking about jumping ship in the Sunbeam Universe and relaxing in Dixie for a while with y'all.Maybe I'll get to meet you in person.
That's all I can think of thats goes on in that neighborhood of your engine.I don't think an O ring is a good idea.Better find a good 'expert' opinion.
Take care Sir,
Agm

sunalp

Diamond Level Sponsor
Hi Allan, While I'm no expert, the thread that was talked about was using two
O rings where the brass T connects to the two rocker shafts. The theory is that oil leaks there and doesn't get to the rockers as much as it could. By using the O rings, it sort of seals that area and gets more oil into the shafts.
At least that's the way I understand it. By the way, I picked up a couple of O rings at the auto parts store last weekend and installed them on my 1725. I figured I'd try this. At the very worst, They'll break off and fall into the engine oil and get drained off at some point. They're rubber and probably won't hurt anything. If they don't do anything at all, they can get removed at some point when I re torque the head. I figured it's worth a try.

Again, I'm no expert so your mileage may vary!:D
Cheers!
Steve

SIVAllan

Gold Level Sponsor
Thanks guys.

I am only assuming there is a problem and that the fix is within range of a DIY effort :) but I have no reason to be suspicious other than hearing of this issue.

It sounds like a good thing to do for preventative reasons.

Perhaps a pair of super thin and very soft copper O rings would work, not fall off, and not mess up the "geometry."

Al anytime you are in Atlanta you are welcome to stop by. If the Zeniths are not correct by then you should bring a good screwdriver :) .

Allan

sd_pace

Donation Time
Allen if you feel there is a restriction in the oil flow of the rockers there maybe a clog from wear on the rocker shaft... it shouldnt be restrictive enought to cause a hard stream from that fitting

jumpinjan

Bronze Level Sponsor
Perhaps a pair of super thin and very soft copper O rings would work, not fall off...
Allan,
What I do is cut gasket paper rings (0.015" thickness) and stack them until there's no sideplay in the "Tee" & rocker arm shafts.