• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Upper ball joint from VB

Ron67Alpine

Silver Level Sponsor
Long story short. My left lower ball joint separated the other day while driving. Other than the BJ not much damage to my baby. Replacing the ball joints was on my list of things to do, so I'd purchased uppers and lowers from VB, earlier this year. I took my upper A-arms and ball joints to my mechanic, the other day, to press out the old and install the new. Today I stopped by to pick them up and he told me that the new ones were 20thousands of an inch too big, and he wasn't gonna press them in because he was afraid of splitting the A arm.
I've called VB and have been told their quality assurance people would contact me tomorrow.
I seem to remember that a member posted, relatively recently, that he was having the same problem. I cannot find that post and would like some information.
Does anyone remember this post, and can point me to it?
I believe that the consensus was to get replacements from SS or CS, but I don't remember if the member called VB, to complain, and if so did they do anything to fix the problem.
Since I bought these so long ago, my inclination is the VB is basically gonna say "too bad". I'm also inclined to just order from CS or SS ASAP, based on the above, because I'm anxous to get this rebuild done. Does anyone have any experience w/VB's QA people and are they willing to go the extra mile to please a customer?
Thanks
Ron

Bill Blue

Platinum Level Sponsor
My experience, over ten years old, was they were anxious to please but, automotively speaking, did not have a clue. Did not know left hand thread from right hand thread.

Good luck.

Bill

socorob

Donation Time
Even of they don't refund you, you should at least report it so if there is a problem maybe they can get it fixed. It's not like we have many options when it comes to getting new and quality parts

Tom H

Platinum Level Sponsor
I've never had a problem getting a refund, but never tried long after purchase. But I have also never had any satisfactory resolution (other than refund) of item errors (like wrong size gauge gaskets, and an exhaust Y pipe that would not fit) . I'd give it a bit of try. See if you can connect with someone there (QA people??) who can discuss the actual product issue.

Let us know what happens.

Tom

Ron67Alpine

Silver Level Sponsor
Thanks for the replies, guys. I've ordered replacements from Rick, but haven't heard back from the QA people @ VB. The main reason I was asking about the previous post was because I'd mentioned, to the Customer service people, that another person, from this Forum, had the same problem. The CS guy said there was no record, of someone else complaining. (grain of salt:rolleyes:) It would have been nice to have an actual quote, about the same problem, for the QA people.
I'm gonna make lemonade out of the broken ball joint, and pretty much do a complete rebuilt, w/paint. I've got the new ball joints, as well as new A-arm bushings, rubber bumpers and tie-rod ends. I think I've finally translated, from English to American, the parts names from the WSM :confused:, so basically have an idea of how everything goes back together.

I do have one more question. I was asked, by Rich, if I needed the "special" A-arm bushing washers. I have the original washers, for the, old decomposing, rubber bushings. I'm installing new hard plastic bushings. Do I need these "special" washers?
Thanks again, it's great to have y'all to around to answer these questions that are vital to the continuation of the Civilized World:D.
Ron