• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Unusual use for a Hillman Minx engine

sunbeammadd

Donation Time
Funny. A while back someone contacted me looking for parts for an Imp-powered Wright Flyer replica. That's quite a coincidence. Maybe it's the same plane and somebody got the identification of the engine wrong.

jumpinjan

Bronze Level Sponsor
The Imp engine would be the way to go. I can pick up the whole engine in my arms. It would need a gear reduction unit before driving the prop chains. It needs to rev.
Jan

Wombat

Donation Time
Russ

Probably is the same one - I doubt if there would be 2 replicas in AU. The resolution of the photos is not good enough to zoom in on the engine to identify it, but it does seem that the coolant inlet and outlet are at oposite ends of the engine. Does that make sense for the Imp engine?

I must go to see the aircraft and confirm.

Cheers

sunbeammadd

Donation Time
Yes, that would be right. Comes of having a remotely mounted water pump.

Russ

Probably is the same one - I doubt if there would be 2 replicas in AU. The resolution of the photos is not good enough to zoom in on the engine to identify it, but it does seem that the coolant inlet and outlet are at oposite ends of the engine. Does that make sense for the Imp engine?

I must go to see the aircraft and confirm.

Cheers